UnevenPieces

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
Hi,

On my i5-2400 if I stress it with prime95 for a few minutes and then I stop it, I can hear a faint whine coming from the pc. After a few seconds it stops. The sound can be heard if there is really quiet in the room, so it's not annoying, but I want to know what exactly may produce this sound.

I can hear it usually when the cpu is changing its multiplier, from what I've noticed.

Thanks.

jb6684

Distinguished
Silicon CPU's don't make noise of any kind. Fans make most of the noise in computers. Since you mention you hear the noise when you stress the system, download and install FanSpeed. Then take note of you fan speeds and temps at idle. Next run Prime95. Watch the fans speeds, they will go up, see if the noise starts when the fans increase in speed.

Next open the case when running Prime95, and, one-by-one Gently stop each fan by hand till you find the source of the noise.

Be sure to check the fan in the power supply too.

Whine as an electrical whine or a fan whine?

Cpu's technically cant make a noise (or a noise we cant hear in our Frequency range).

So im going to have to guess it's either a component on a motherboard like maybe a mosfet under heavy electrical load (which is possible as i've seen it happen on gpu's ) or maybe a fan thats not acting quite right.

UnevenPieces

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
It's an electrical sound and I didn't say it's coming from the cpu, but from the pc. It has to do with the cpu changing it's multiplier. The sound it's not annoying and it's not loud if I work, but I just wanted to know if it's normal.

well then, i would definitely say what I said early earlier.

mosfet under heavy electrical load

Unless the others disagree that the only thing I know of that would be making such a noise.

it could be the psu "arcing out" (like the sparks when you put something metal in the microwave but on a smaller scale) under load, thats the only electrical noise im familiar with in a computer. Did you buy a cheap brand psu? saying an "Electrical sound" is a bit vague as it could just as easily be fan noise if you arent really experienced with electronics. If its a high pitch noise it could just be electronic components resonating somewhere in the pc, again most likely psu.

UnevenPieces

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009

My PSU is a Corsair 550VX and I am sure it's not a fan noise. It's a brand new motherboard and cpu.

Just like warmon6 said, I tend to think it's a normal electric sound made mosfets under heavy electrical load. Like I've said, it's not an annoying sound, I just happen to be more sensible to certain frequencies.