Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Rate My Build

Last response: in Systems
Share
January 23, 2011 2:16:08 AM

I built this rig about 7 months ago and it runs like a dream. Just looking for a little critiquing and maybe advice on how to upgrade it. I plan on setting up AMD crossfire whenever i get the dough, and maybe doubling the RAM even though i dont need it (hehe).

CPU: i7 950
CPU liquid cooled. <-- best investment on the rig imo.
GPU: XFX Radeon 5850
PSU: Ultra 850w (plan on crossfire soon)
RAM: Corsair Dominator 6144MB PC12800
MOBO: ASUS P6X58D-E Intel X58 LGA1366 Motherboard
Case: NZXT Lexa S Crafted Series Mid Tower PC Case
Monitor: HannsG HH251HPB 25" Wide HD LCD Monitor

More about : rate build

a b B Homebuilt system
January 23, 2011 2:43:38 AM

Quote:
maybe doubling the RAM even though i dont need it (hehe).
lol... don't really need it...
Maybe add a few fans, and cathode lights...

Quote:
I plan on setting up AMD crossfire whenever i get the dough,
I'd do that... =D
m
0
l
January 23, 2011 3:18:46 AM

lmgaland said:
I built this rig about 7 months ago and it runs like a dream. Just looking for a little critiquing and maybe advice on how to upgrade it. I plan on setting up AMD crossfire whenever i get the dough, and maybe doubling the RAM even though i dont need it (hehe).

CPU: i7 950
CPU liquid cooled. <-- best investment on the rig imo.
GPU: XFX Radeon 5850
PSU: Ultra 850w (plan on crossfire soon)
RAM: Corsair Dominator 6144MB PC12800
MOBO: ASUS P6X58D-E Intel X58 LGA1366 Motherboard
Case: NZXT Lexa S Crafted Series Mid Tower PC Case
Monitor: HannsG HH251HPB 25" Wide HD LCD Monitor



i'd dump the 5850 and get 2 6950's flash them so they run as 6970's and run them in crossfire. Upgrade the Case to a full tower like a Haf 932 or Haf X or even a NZXT Phantom.
m
0
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a c 91 B Homebuilt system
January 23, 2011 3:26:27 AM

6950 = 300.

2x 6950 = 600

water blocks (full cover) = about 100-120 each.

Total = 800$-840$

He'd be better off just getting another 5850 since they are so cheap now. And the justification for the 6950 CF would only be smart if his res was any higher than 1920x1080. I believe it'd be 2560x1080 or something like that. Not really sure bout numbers for them I always for get them.

As for the build looks good, is it a custom LCS loop or is it a H70/H50?

But yeah I agree with upgrading cases for future use if you plan to do CF or WC the cards. If you do LC the cards, you'll probably need a 120.3 rad and a 120.2 for the cpu. You can loop it all together, but make sure your water block doesn't restrict flow (a famous one that does is the Apogee XT) one that doesn't restrict flow is the Heatkiller Rev3 which is pretty much the Apogee XT
m
0
l
January 23, 2011 3:12:29 PM

aznshinobi said:
6950 = 300.

2x 6950 = 600

water blocks (full cover) = about 100-120 each.

Total = 800$-840$

He'd be better off just getting another 5850 since they are so cheap now. And the justification for the 6950 CF would only be smart if his res was any higher than 1920x1080. I believe it'd be 2560x1080 or something like that. Not really sure bout numbers for them I always for get them.

As for the build looks good, is it a custom LCS loop or is it a H70/H50?

But yeah I agree with upgrading cases for future use if you plan to do CF or WC the cards. If you do LC the cards, you'll probably need a 120.3 rad and a 120.2 for the cpu. You can loop it all together, but make sure your water block doesn't restrict flow (a famous one that does is the Apogee XT) one that doesn't restrict flow is the Heatkiller Rev3 which is pretty much the Apogee XT



my bad, i didn't know the promos and rebates ended on the Sapphire 6950's. But Yeah I'd go with a 5850 since he has to buy a water block and everythingg. I do air cooling so I didn't know about those. But a 5850, make sure you try to by the same brand and card but different brands is fine too,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

m
0
l
January 23, 2011 3:28:44 PM

Shoulda specified before: the cpu cooler is a Corsair H50, so i wouldn't have to get blocks for the gpu's, although it would be nice to have some after-market cooling solutions for those. I'd absolutely love the sub-zero cooling loop for all my components , but i ain't bill gates.

As for the mid-size case, its surprisingly roomy and i don't think i'd have any trouble doing crossfire with the current one. It has 5 fans which allows for push pull airflow and the liquid CPU cooler saves me some room and doesn't put any heat inside the case.

I was pretty pissed when i found out about the radeon 6000's literally 2 days after my return period ended for the GPU, but i'll deal. The main difference between the 5000s and 6000s is energy efficiency not power.

Thanks for you're advice guys. I might hold off on the second 5850 and instead save up for 2 of AMD's next line since they have committed to a new series every year lol. I dont use the rig for anything more than gaming, and there's nothing the current build cant run at full specs atm.

m
0
l
January 23, 2011 3:42:44 PM

lmgaland said:
Shoulda specified before: the cpu cooler is a Corsair H50, so i wouldn't have to get blocks for the gpu's, although it would be nice to have some after-market cooling solutions for those. I'd absolutely love the sub-zero cooling loop for all my components , but i ain't bill gates.

As for the mid-size case, its surprisingly roomy and i don't think i'd have any trouble doing crossfire with the current one. It has 5 fans which allows for push pull airflow and the liquid CPU cooler saves me some room and doesn't put any heat inside the case.

I was pretty pissed when i found out about the radeon 6000's literally 2 days after my return period ended for the GPU, but i'll deal. The main difference between the 5000s and 6000s is energy efficiency not power.

Thanks for you're advice guys. I might hold off on the second 5850 and instead save up for 2 of AMD's next line since they have committed to a new series every year lol. I dont use the rig for anything more than gaming, and there's nothing the current build cant run at full specs atm.


IDK man, people are saying its a tight fit for the new 6XXX line and even crossfiring the old 5XXX line. If you were to smush everything into the case, make sure you have lots of high end fans and thermal sensors, between the GPU's, HDD's, cpu(under the thermal paste), and by the PSU.
m
0
l
January 23, 2011 3:44:59 PM

I'll definitely look into it. Considering the price of the GPU's and the rest of the components the price of a new case is a small price to pay. I kinda just like the one i have now ^_^
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 23, 2011 7:24:21 PM

Quote:
2560x1080
I think it is 2560X1600.... not sure but w/e



THe diference between the 6970 is going to be minimal, unless he is doing high res, like aznshinobi said... Could be something to look into... also, if you really want to save up for something that will be worth it, look at Nvidia's GPUs so you can do 3d... lol... other then that, look at cooling systems.
m
0
l
a c 91 B Homebuilt system
January 23, 2011 7:41:12 PM

Oh your using the H50.... Then.... Never mind? The H50 isn't really "true water cooling" as they market it. If you did true water cooling you'd see lower temps and the H50 really isn't real water cooling because real WCing isn't integrated pump reservoir and everything. I find going air even a better option than the H50, if you look at some benchmarks, the Hyper 212+ actually beats it out in some to most cases depending on what fan they put on it IE Scythe Slipstreams.
m
0
l
January 23, 2011 7:49:35 PM

For the size its way more convenient. Also, theres no heat being pumped into the case by the fan. I've never seen the cpu break 40c even after long hours of crysis, mwf2, etc...

I wouldnt invest in a legit custom water cooling solution unless i had the full size case or if i needed extreme oc, which i havent yet.
m
0
l
a c 91 B Homebuilt system
January 23, 2011 7:53:44 PM

Ahh true, but the thing I hate about the H50 is price. It's about 70-80$. That's like a Prolimatech Megahalems with 2 Scythe Slipstreams, which cool better than the H50 itself. And the Hyper 212+ does the same performance at 50$ (w/ scythe fans included). I just don't like the price/cooling value :p  But it's a decent cooler nonetheless.
m
0
l
January 23, 2011 7:56:59 PM

I will admit, i was probably drawn in just by the fact it is a "liquid cooler." I'm happy with it nonetheless!
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 91 B Homebuilt system
January 23, 2011 7:58:06 PM

Haha Well I'd give your build a solid B+ to A somewhere in that range.
Share
January 30, 2011 1:14:18 AM

Best answer selected by lmgaland.
m
0
l
!