Issues with first build

eleptyx

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
Hello, I recently decided to take a stab at building my own computer. I've seen mum, pop, etc, all do it so I figured I could too. Blah blah blah.

Down to the issue: It worked great for about three days. It then started with the dreaded BSOD. It would usually flash too quick to catch the error message. The one time I did catch it the issue pointed to memory. So I changed out my ram. Worked fine for a day, and then would freeze if I idled at all for more than a minute or two. After a few freezing matches it began hanging upon start up, refused to come back from sleep without a hard reset, and continued to be a little trouble maker. The BSOD stopped appearing and has yet to do so for quite a while now, but the freezing/start-up hang-ups have yet to cease.
I once again got a memory issue this time straight from windows so I tried yet another ram. Once again worked for a short time before freezing etc.

So far I have changed the ram out a few times and I'm pretty certain that is not the issue. I even took it upon myself to run each of the sticks through memtest on a different machine and they came out right as rain. So that is definitely ruled out. I've tried re-installing the OS multiple times and even tried using different OS systems so I do not think that is the issue.

I can't seem to figure out what the issue is. It runs fantastic when it does run, but these issues make the machine unreliable and unmanageable. Might be a compatibility error, but I checked things pretty strongly before purchase. Maybe I missed something that you guys might catch. The main thing that I'm leaning towards it being is a faulty mobo or maybe a cpu, but I wouldnt know how to go about testing that without buying new ones and retesting that way. Any suggestions on what you think it could be? It'd be extremely helpful. I'm even good with "OH Mobo for sure. Go buy a new one, lassy"

The pieces:
i7-860
msi p55-gd65
G.Skill ripjaw Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL (Had OCZ prior at 1333, both ddr3 dual-channel)
Antec earthwatts 650w
nvidia 8800gt

And if those pieces are not matched at all feel free to call me an idiot. Its possible I messed up.

Thank you all who help.

WHComp

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
I don't know if you already did this, but you didn't mention your BIOS settings at all. If you have not already, make sure the settings in the bios match the recommended settings for all your hardware. If they do, try UNDERclocking slightly and running that way.

Also, it would help to run Prime95 to see how long it takes to crash and what the report says.

eleptyx

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
Ah, I probably should mention that. I have gone through and changed all the timings and everything to fit what each piece states. I've even let it automatically detect. However, I haven't run Prime95. I'll have to give that a shot. Thank you.