New RAM problems

wertwow

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011
Just got new RAM for my computer (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004TKY59O) and tried to install it however, instead of the computer starting up, there are now only 3 beeps a pause and then a recurring 3 beeps. I've tried each RAM module separably and together in all 4 of the slots in my motherboard yet the problem still occurs. After this I tried the RAM I was using before again on its own yet the problem still recurred with this, any help would be much appreciated . This is my first time upgrading and I am worried I've done something wrong even though I took all the step.

My Motherboard is a ASUS® M4A79XTD EVO and my old RAM 4GB CORSAIR XMS3 DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz

You may have inadvertently loosened the video card when you pushed down on the motheroard putting in the new ram (it happens ) so I would power off the computer and remove the video card and then reseat it. See if that works.

wertwow

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011

Thanks for the quick reply will try that

wertwow

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011
Found the beep code, one continues beep followed by two short = no ram detected. Took all the ram out to test this and and got the same beeps so the problem is definitly in the RAM itself

Are you trying to put both Corsair and Crucial ram in together ? How many sticks of each brand do you have? The Corsair is 1.65v , 1600mhz ram and the Crucial is 1.5v 1333 mhz ram , they will not wotk together because they have to be the same exactly in order to work.

wertwow

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011

that's what I did at first, but after the problem occurred I've tested each stick in each of the 4 slots on their own and still the same problem occurs.

wertwow

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011

Missed this before I replied to your other post, this is probably what I need to do

wertwow

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011
Is it possible Ive completely destroyed all of the sticks by not grounding myself properly or something along those lines? and if so is there anything I can do about it ? Also to clarify to reset CMOS you just remove the cmos battery dont you ?

That is one way and Asus boards usually have a reset buton either on the MB or at the rear i/o pannel. Also there is an option in the bios to set to default. I certianly hope that you didn't damage the memory controller on the cpu. What you can try is to shut down and unplug the power supply , then remove the battery and wait a few min. Then put everythimg back and put in the original ram in the original slots and see if that works.

tconnor314

Honorable
Jun 30, 2012

Any luck solving this problem? I am currently having the same issue with the same board and RAM.