New Build, Smoking PSW

vvackdavid

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
So i was building my computer, and the power supply was at volts. Everything was plugged in properly, as well as i could see (24 pin connector, and the 4 pin by the CPU) but nothing would turn on. So i switched it to 230 volts, and the power supply only turned on, and started smoking. Is my MB or any other part fried? no other parts were moving.

And if i didn't give sufficient info, please let me know so i can post it.

Ok. Scared now.

Mobo:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157226

PSU:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182032&Tpk=rosewill%20power%20supply%

Ok. By the way, I changed the voltage because at 115 it just wouldn't turn on, regardless of what i did.

I'm pretty sure I connected everything properly, no fans spun at all in the cpu or the actual fan.

I need atleast 550 W according to newegg's PSU Calculator.
I have 4 gigs of ram, a new quad core phenom II at 3.2 ghz, ati 4670's crossfired, and 1 24x dvd rw drive, 1 dvd reader drive, and 1 cd-rw drive.

walterm

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2010
Short answer, it depends.
Need to know specifically what power supply. Normally it should not hurt, but it should not smoke either. Smoke means overheating.
I would not be optimistic.

First, that switch is NOT watts, its input voltage, what it does is when set to 115V it engages a voltage doubler circuit to bring the 115V up to 230V. You need to have it set to the right number for the region you are in, if you are in north america you need it set to 115V, i believe most of europe is 230V.

What you definitely did was cook the input side of the PSU, there is no way to tell if the output side got cooked or cooked anything with itself without having a good PSU to test on, but this time around, dont get a cheap POS, get one designed in the last 5 years so it actually has APFC and therefore doesnt have a voltage selector switch, it will keep you from making that mistake in the future.

walterm

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2010
First at 110V did the fans connected to the motherboard and the power supply spin up.
The power supply is an old design, having more Amps on the 5 volt than on the 12volt output. Confirmed by the voltage swtch and 72% efficiency.
First big questions.
Did the 20+4 pin connector plug easily into the motherboard?
Are you certain you plugged the 4+4 pin connector into the 8 pin motherboard plug? NOT the pcle 6+2 connector?
The reasons for checking the fans is they should always power on if properly connected.
How was your video card connected? Seated properly? power plugs?
Do you have a "beep" code speaker? did it beep?
Normally power supplies with switches use a transformer to reduce 240 volt to 120 volt.
Reducing 120volt to 60 volt should not damage anything, just should not work.
Call newegg and explain the problem, may be a bad power supply.
Putting 6+2 connectors into the motherboard would damage things.

Toxxyc

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
Hmm. You must take the PSU back to the shop where you bought it, and they will install some new smoke for you. :D

No, in all seriousness though, chances are huge that the PSU will be popped. 115V to 230V switch shouldn't be messed with, and you kinda did. You blew the PSU. There's not too much need to worry about the MB or other components though, the PSU regulates it's power output to 12V stable (given you have a half-decent PSU), and as such your components are protected. Get yourself a new PSU, they are cheap as crap nowadays. Considering that the PSU had a voltage switch, I'm believing the PC isn't all that powerful, so a smaller PSU like a Gigabyte ODIN 370W or something will be fine. They're cheap as well as silent, and not too bad for the cash.

phaedrus2129

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011

Not all Rosewill units are bad. This one is, but they have lots of decent units as well. Kind of like CoolerMaster, but with less lying. They only got a bad reputation because of their early days when they were using garbage from Deer, Youngyear, and Wintech. Now they're mainly using ATNG, with a sprinkling of Solytech, Superflower, and Sirfa, and quality as a whole is much higher. It's just they've still got a lot of lower-end ATNG units, like the RV2 series.

His unit is mediocre, but the only reason it toasted was because he did the classic "flip input voltage switch to the wrong setting", frying the primary circuit. Primary caps are dead for sure, rectifying bridge and switching transistors may or may not be fried as well.

Hi

about 10 years ago I received a computer case with a power supply already installed

I forgot to check that volts switch was 240V (for UK)
(most of Europe uses 220V but UK & Europe now both claim 230V without changing actual supplied voltage from 240V & 220V)

I was very lucky that an internal fuse in the psu prevented any damage
after changing it for a new fuse and re setting voltage switch to 240V the psu & PC worked normally

(It is considered dangerous to open PSU case as high voltage may remain on capacitors for some time)

Since the PSU gave off smoke it is now dead.

You may be lucky and motherboard etc has survived, you wont know until you try it

I saw a video of a faulty motherboard which made PSU's catch on fire so so it is not always the PSU's fault

http://www.bendburrows.com/?p=883

regards
Mike Barnes

TRENDING THREADS