Maximus iv extreme-z problems please help

egreir

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2011
Hello,
new MAximus iv extreme-z board problems please help
Just put a the board in and im having a weird problem. I have two evga 580gtx superclocked gpus. I cannot get the video to display either single or in sli. I can hear my system boot up into windows just no video signal.

I did finally find out if i put one in the pci slot 1 and one in the 3rd and then hook my dvi cable to the 3rd i could get video. My bios only picks up the one in the 3rd slot. So for the life of me i cannot understand why i must place a card in slot one that isnt even recognized to get the other gpu to work. Ive switched them around either car in same setup same situation. Ive tryed them in 1 and 3 and 2 and 4 1 and 2, 2 and 3 pci slots etc.

Any help would be much appreciated. I apologize ahead of time if this post isn't punctuated or grammatically correct ive been up for about 30 hours now trying to fix this problem but to no avail.

Lowlyworm

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2011
May I suggest plugging a vga cable into the motherboard i/o and seeing if that boots into BIOS. If it does change the settings so that the output from the video card is the default.

If it still doesnt works RMA it :)

egreir

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2011
managed to finally get them both to be picked up in lanes 1 and 3 but only thing is its making my card in 1 run at 4x and card is 3 x8 when both should be at x8. should i go buy a wireless nic or sound card to put in 1 and put the cards in 2 and 4 to get them to run at 8?