Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Please !! Help !! Confused :( with config for new PC

Last response: in Systems
January 23, 2011 8:11:10 AM

Hi, :hello: 
i need help regarding building a new AMD PHENOM_2 based PC:
problem is.. there's way so many options available.. m really getting confused :(  :(  :(  ..

my REQUIREMENTS: [ priority High to low]
HIGH PRIO### gaming.. upcoming awesome games like.. assassin creed 3, Diablo 3, fable3 , crysis2 .. n all those..
Mid PRIO## watching movies FULL HD 1920x1080 [here.. i can play games @ lower resolutions for better performance]
Low PRIO# Chatting , fb, orkut, music, .. etc.. and .. similar daily usage.

budget: As Low as possible [ :p  who doesnt wanna save a few extra bucks]

THE BIGGEST REASON WHY I'M FINDING THINGS DIFFICULT
>> i donot want to UPGRADE for next 2-3 Years in these times where technologies change in a day
>> incase i gotta upgrade.. i wanna keep it as tight as possible in matters of $$.

So please help me build a system
FEATURES LOOKING FOR: DDR3 [obvsly for gaming] 1333Mhz or higher + SATA 3.0 [6gb/s] + USB 3.0

!!! IMP. !!! in any case whatsoever i'm NOT GONNA OVERCLOCK NOR GONNA CROSSFIRE

1st> Processors: >> Looking @ AMD PHENOM v2 125W <<
Q1> which is best x4 or x6 [PIB..NON_BLACK_EDITION] and which1??
Q2> whats with stepping?? c3 stepping better or e0 ? whats difference??
Q3> for gaming >> more cores OR higher GHz since i'm NOT GONNA OVERCLOCK??
Q4> does the HEATSINK and CPU FAN come with the processor your mentioning??

2nd> Motherboards: >> Looking for AM3 socket with SOUTHBRIDGE: SB850 CHIPSET [for usb3, sata3] <<
Q1> i'm gonna put a GFX card anyways so do i need onboard graphics as a backup incase something goes wrong with gfx??
Q2> really liked ASUS/GIGABYTE over the years, so do any of models meet my needs mentioned above while keeping budget really low??
Q3> as far as NORTHBRIDGE is concerned.. since im NOT GONNA CROSSFIRE NOR OVERCLOCK.. which is better chipset?? 870/880G/890GX/890FX ?? [please consider costs]
Q4>Do these motherboards support HDMI?? do i need it for 1920x1080 movie experience if i already have DVI-D??

3rd> COOLING: if im NOT GONNA OVERCLOCK NOT CROSSFIRE do i need an extra cooler [other than the cpu heatsing + fan that i get with amd PIB] ??? if so which 1??

4th> whats the current best GFX card thats best VALUE for MONEY [ less than $100] which has DVI-D and supports DirectX11??

5th> for all the stuff above mentioned.. HOW MUCH POWER DO I NEED?? 750Watts or more???

########## THATS ALL ######### PHEW :p  :p  LOL !!! THANKS A LOT WHOEVER ANSWERS .. please please help !! :)  :cry: 

byee.. :hello: 

More about : confused config

Best solution

January 23, 2011 8:41:54 AM

CPU- I recommend the X4 955. It will be better in most games than the X6 currently. Who knows 3 years down the road. It has plenty of clock speed for current games.

You should expect that your hardware will be outdated in 6 months. Having said that, within the next 6 months AMD will be coming out with a new platform and CPU's that WILL NOT use the current socket. AM3 is a dead end so to speak.

Might have better longevity with a LGA 1155.

If you're gaming at 1080 I'd recommend you look at spending a bit more on a graphics card. The best you can do under $100 is probably the HD5670. Which will not require a hefty PSU. But you can find some good values in the 120-150 range.

Best bang for buck right now is either the HD6850 or GTX 460 1GB. They offer a lot of power for under $200.

Don't worry about the mobo having HDMI. You'll get that from the graphics card.

You should look at the boards from Asus and Gighabyte with the 870 chipset. w/o crossfire or integrated graphics- anything more is overpriced for you.

Don't worry about extra coolers, but get a case with decent airflow. I can recommend some budget models to try, I;m thinking Antec 300 or something similar for you. (Coolermaster elite maybe?)

For win7 I recommend 4 gigs of ram. Lots to choose from so go with a reliable brand that is on sale. Corsair, OCZ, A data, kingston, G skill.
January 23, 2011 8:51:44 AM

Firstly, if you can, I would wait for the new chips probably in April. Unfortunately I couldn't and bought an i3 540 with the ASUS P7H55-M/USB3 for the SATA 6Gbps ports and USB3. However, if you want to keep your processor then going for the Phenom 2 will be OK as you can upgrade your motherboard. There aren't a lot of SATA 6Gbps and USB3 AMD motherboards that are good value at the moment.

1st: Q3 4 cores for gaming will be roughly the same as 6 cores.
Q4 The retail CPU will come with a heat sink and as you're not overclocking this will be OK.

2nd: Q1 I wouldn't go for onboard gfx if you're definitely going to have a discrete card, although there have been a number of occasions when I wished I had onboard gfx, just between selling cards and so on.

4th: Probably a Radeon 5770 if you can get this for $100

5th: I would go for a good quality 500W, Silverstone, Antec, Seasonic as I see power consumption levels dropping in future tech.
m
l
Related resources
January 23, 2011 9:36:40 AM

buzznut said:
CPU- I recommend the X4 955. It will be better in most games than the X6 currently. Who knows 3 years down the road. It has plenty of clock speed for current games.

You should expect that your hardware will be outdated in 6 months. Having said that, within the next 6 months AMD will be coming out with a new platform and CPU's that WILL NOT use the current socket. AM3 is a dead end so to speak.

Might have better longevity with a LGA 1155.

If you're gaming at 1080 I'd recommend you look at spending a bit more on a graphics card. The best you can do under $100 is probably the HD5670. Which will not require a hefty PSU. But you can find some good values in the 120-150 range.

Best bang for buck right now is either the HD6850 or GTX 460 1GB. They offer a lot of power for under $200.

Don't worry about the mobo having HDMI. You'll get that from the graphics card.

You should look at the boards from Asus and Gighabyte with the 870 chipset. w/o crossfire or integrated graphics- anything more is overpriced for you.

Don't worry about extra coolers, but get a case with decent airflow. I can recommend some budget models to try, I;m thinking Antec 300 or something similar for you. (Coolermaster elite maybe?)

For win7 I recommend 4 gigs of ram. Lots to choose from so go with a reliable brand that is on sale. Corsair, OCZ, A data, kingston, G skill.

AM3 ?? a dead end?? :(  but then i guess in the new socket will definately support AM3 socket processors right?? so i guess i'll go with a costly processor.. maybe a 965 and a cheaper MoBo .. i was thinking of GIGABYTE:GA-870A-UD3 (rev. 2.2) or Asus:M4A87TD EVO
umm.. 1 Q i have though.. whats with the PHASE
4+1 , 8+1 , 8+2 ??? whats all that?? in MoBo specification..?
m
l
January 23, 2011 9:39:18 AM

doive1231 said:
Firstly, if you can, I would wait for the new chips probably in April. Unfortunately I couldn't and bought an i3 540 with the ASUS P7H55-M/USB3 for the SATA 6Gbps ports and USB3. However, if you want to keep your processor then going for the Phenom 2 will be OK as you can upgrade your motherboard. There aren't a lot of SATA 6Gbps and USB3 AMD motherboards that are good value at the moment.

1st: Q3 4 cores for gaming will be roughly the same as 6 cores.
Q4 The retail CPU will come with a heat sink and as you're not overclocking this will be OK.

2nd: Q1 I wouldn't go for onboard gfx if you're definitely going to have a discrete card, although there have been a number of occasions when I wished I had onboard gfx, just between selling cards and so on.

4th: Probably a Radeon 5770 if you can get this for $100

5th: I would go for a good quality 500W, Silverstone, Antec, Seasonic as I see power consumption levels dropping in future tech.

Heyy. . thankx a lot for replying..

a lot of my frnds suggested me the 5770 gfx card.. so i gonna get 1 anyways..
.. i guess.. 955 or 965 non-black PIB would be the best bet.. ^_^
solves Processor selection probs ^_^

LoL!! thnx a lot :)  :) 
m
l
January 23, 2011 10:15:08 AM

Decided on a few things..
>Samsung b2230h 1920x1080 21.5"
>DDR3 2GB 1333Mhz Gskill or Corsair
>Coolermaster Elite 430 Black Chasis
>Logitech Media Combo Mouse+Keyboard MK200
>Samsung DVD writer
>Corsair Corsair TX650W Power Supply
>Seagate 250gb HDD sata 2.0 Baracuda
>Radeon 5770

Now..
regarding AMD phenom2 processors:
whats difference between a 955 PIB and 955 Black Edition??
http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/processors/pheno...
here it says that 955 just comes in Black edition :( 

also .. whats STEPPING?? c3 better or e0 ??

and finally: MOTHERBOARD :(  .. please suggest a motherboard for the above config and requirements mentioned earlier in post :(  HELP HELP~
m
l
January 30, 2011 3:30:47 AM

Best answer selected by dracx333.
m
l
January 31, 2011 3:55:29 AM

Stepping basically means the same thing as revision, such as Win 7 or Catalyst 11.1. Typically newer steppings have some tweaks applied that make them not faster really but more efficient and possibly correcting something or even maybe higher overclocking potential. I believe E0 is the latest stepping, which is good- you shouldn't be getting an older CPU that's been on the shelf.

I don't know about this PIB..But as far as I know the X4 955 is a black edition always. The 925 is the only Quad I know of that isn't BE. I recommend not paying more for a 965 or 975 as it won't give you much more in terms of gaming frames rates. A quick multiplier change in the BIOS to 17X or 17.5 X will get you the same speed as the higher priced CPU's. This is safe to do with sufficient case cooling and is what you are paying for with a black edition CPU-an unlocked multiplier.

If you want a primer on AMD overclocking for some reading, look here:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/phenom-overclock-at...

But really it is as simple as changing the Multi like I mentioned.

Like I said before, choose the 870 Gigabyte board or Asus.

And I implore you (not really) get 4 gigs of ram. Ram is at the lowest its been for a long time and it will likely nnot get any lower. I've seen four gigs for $40 and 8 gigs for 80. Its silly not get as much as you can right now, its not going on "sale" in the future. It will become more expensive once everyone starts buying it up at current prices. Demand goes up, supply goes down and prices go up.

The HD 5770 is a good midrange card and can be found at good prices now. It won't stick around forever though with the 6000 series cards out.

Oh yeah, one more thing get the samsung 500 F3 hard drive. best in class performance. That little seagate pales in comparison. GL
buzznut
m
l
!