Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading k8m800 Micro AM2 {mobo}{amd}

Last response: in CPUs
April 20, 2011 6:32:36 AM

Heya folks,

Just curios if anyone out there would happen to know what's best for upgrading my old motherboard. At present I have a BIOSTAR K8M800 Micro AM2. I've read that you could possibly use AM3 processors as some are backwards compatible with old motherboards but I've been searching to see if I could do that and to no avail have only found a list of what I think are the supported processors for the mobo. Ideally I would like to get the best processor for it but I don't really know which is the best one.

Motherboard Website

http://www.biostar-usa.com/app/en-us/mb/content.php?S_I...

"CPU support" page {erhm I'm guessing this the best list, however I just don't know which is the fastest of them all}

http://www.biostar-usa.com/app/en-us/mb/cpu_support.php...

At any rate, thanks in advance for any and all responses, very much appreciated. Thanks!
a c 900 à CPUs
a c 1163 V Motherboard
April 20, 2011 12:23:52 PM

It is not feasable to upgrade to any of the CPU's on the list they are all low power AM2 CPU's. Upgrading to a newer board with AM3 CPU support would be a much better choice.
m
l
April 20, 2011 3:00:08 PM

Well it's was kind of a long shot idea but the reason I was asking and I think I found out that the { AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual-Core 4800+ ADO4800IAA6CS 2400Mhz 2000Mhz 65W } is the last fastest processor available and back to my thought I figured why not just spend less than 500 bucks and upgrade my ram and processor to squeeze out every last bit I could as I was just using a regular athlon 64 and ddr2 533 instead of ddr2 667, and...I'm still using an agp graphics card...

So upgrade ram/processor oh....and get a new power supply {reason; it died on me, I've been looking at upgrading components, even if ever so slightly}

VS

getting a new micro atx mobo{ for my silverstone case}, ram, processor, graphics card.
m
l
!