Sandybridge cpus

esaglik

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
how much of a performance difference is there between the i7 2600k and the i5 2500k? im looking at these two for a build im currently working on, theres around an 80-100 pound difference in price depending on where you look so im wondering is it really worth it, perhaps saving it as an upgrade in a couple of years time possibly?

welshmousepk

Distinguished
In gaming it won't make a bit of difference. CAD on the other hand will see a significant gain with the hyperthreading of the i7.

It depends on whats important to you. If you don't care about slightly faster rendering times, I wouldn't bother.

welshmousepk

Distinguished

I use the scythe samurai ZZ. However my micro case restricts me to smaller coolers. I'd recommend the Hyper 212+ or better if you don't have the same restrictions.

Still, these chips are damn cool. overclocking is a breeze.

esaglik

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
thats good to know as im new to that whole game, ive watched the ncis tech tips on how to overclock a sandybridge cpu and check it's stability to its all good, just gonna take it slowly and make sure i dont fry it haha, i probably wont see the need to overclock for a while anyway but just have to wait and see tbh. cheers for the info :)

esaglik

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
thanks, i might drop a post in the new build informing people of my choice of parts, seeing if anyone has any issue with any of it....... :)