Your question
Closed

Can't install ATI drivers and run in Normal mode

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 24, 2010 4:43:42 PM

Hello,
Windows Vista sp2
ATI Radeon 3450/4350/4500 gpu
Everytime I install the ati drivers for any of the 3 cards I have the system will not load in normal mode. It eather BSOD or hangs on windows logo or black screen altogether. I have onboard graphics 3200 and I have tried to install the cards with and without onboard active. I have tried several ati display drivers. I can boot into safe mode with no problems and I can disable the graphics card in device manager and boot to normal mode. I have tried 3 different psu from 350w to 650w with the same problems. I am a college student and on a very lean budget to try to get this system up and running.

I am guessing at this point it isn't the graphics cards but perhaps my motherboard.

I started recieving the following error messages this morning while trying to boot to windows:

0x00000e9 and unexpected I/O error has occured

then

0x0000007B (0xF78D663C, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Nothing on my system seems to be working now. I have done the RAM test and it passes. I just don't have the money to replace everything on the computer to find out which thing is broken. Someone told me it could be the battery on my motherboard but not sure how to replace that or if it would cause so many problems with so much hardware.

I really need some imput on this. Anything would be appreciated :) 
Thank you
Ann
November 29, 2010 3:25:49 PM

Hi Ann,
I'm having a similar problem to you, I can boot fine into safe mode, but whenever I boot into normal mode, the screen goes blank after the windows logo. When I uninstall the radeon driver it boots into windows mode, but as soon as I install the driver all I get is a black screen, I'm using a new HIS 5770 card, new XFX 650 watt PSU, new Patriot Viper 4Gb ram, old MSI k9a2 Platinum Motherboard, old 9950 BE, new Hitachi 1Tb HDD. I'm going through the HDMI, but have tried all the different connectors to my LCD TV with similar results. Any help would be appreciated, also, if I find anything, I'll be sure to post here for ya.
Score
November 29, 2010 3:50:45 PM

Its basically telling you it cant read the drivers for the graphics card, How old is your hard drive and have you been doing maintenance on it at all ? Defragging cleaning etc ? Also how full is the disc ? a disc that is near full can give errors. If the drive is writing the drivers to a bad sector then that would explain it. Its been a while but i believe if you boot into safe mode you will get an option to tell it to do a disc check when you restart it as you cant do one there and then.
Other options would be to just not install the drivers. I have run a few low end cards like this before. not due to a fault just didnt need to.
Also you could try not letting it install the drivers to the default folder. Be careful not delete the chip set drivers but what i always do is uninstall the drivers with the ATI install utility then delete the folder the drivers were in so that it has to make a new folder each time.

Mactronix :) 
Score
Related resources
November 29, 2010 7:02:53 PM

I can't speak for the OP, but on mine, this is a new hard drive that windows is on, and it's a fresh install of win 7. I use HD Tune and the drive reads fine on everything, including the error scan. I agree with you, I think it's a driver issue, however, I've tried old drivers and newest drivers, nothing seems to make the card work, and it won't let me play games with the windows default driver, also, through HDMI you get the sound, and without the drivers, no sound.
Score
November 30, 2010 5:50:40 PM

Ann, have you tried it with a different monitor?
Score
December 1, 2010 7:09:51 PM

When installing Drivers and getting starting problems, usually means, there is a monitor software ( like a LCD control software, that does the same the LCD buttons does, but from the desktop ). If you have one isntalled, like samsung's Magic tune etc unninstall them, as you will need a newer version to avoid conflict with the card drivers.
Score
December 1, 2010 10:09:42 PM

I don't have one installed, maybe i should, something that will over ride the monitors factory settings... Problem is that I have an off manufacturer, and it's a relatively old tv/monitor.
Score
August 12, 2012 9:20:35 AM

kiban said:
When installing Drivers and getting starting problems, usually means, there is a monitor software ( like a LCD control software, that does the same the LCD buttons does, but from the desktop ). If you have one isntalled, like samsung's Magic tune etc unninstall them, as you will need a newer version to avoid conflict with the card drivers.

This is a reaaally old thread, but man you really helped me. I was unable to boot on normal mode after uninstalling my ATI drivers (safe mode only), but after removing Samsung Magic Tune, I was then able to boot normally and then proceed on re-installing the drivers. Thank you very much!!
Score
a b \ Driver
August 12, 2012 9:38:40 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!