Sign in with
Your question

[Second Build Critique] [~1100 Budget]

Last response: in Systems
January 23, 2011 3:33:10 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: (Jan 23 - Jan 30th)

Budget Range: (around $1000-$1200) (Not too concerned with rebates, i usually dont turn them in anyway. )

System Usage from Most to Least Important: (Gaming)

Parts Not Required: (Keyboard, mouse, monitor)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: ( newegg.com, tigerdirect.com, amazon.com)

Country of Origin: (U.S.A.)

Parts Preferences: Any bigger namebrand ( I dont mind paying for quality)

Overclocking: Yes plz

SLI or Crossfire: Yes plz ( I will add a second card within a month of the build once i've got some more cash)

Monitor Resolution: (1920x1080, 1920x1200. Using my tv.)

Additional Comments: I plan on going with a gaming build and a pretty mild overclock at 4.5GHZ without pushing much more than that. I want to build with 1 Video card and add in a second for SLI in about 30 days. I've done as much reading as i can to make sure i got good quality parts, but i figured i would ask those who know far more to critique what i have gotten together and make sure it is a solid build. Any advice or suggestion is appreciated. ( i might not be able to purchase some new sugggestions instantly though. :-P )

These are things i have already bought.

CASE
COOLER MASTER HAF X
Friend Recommended when it was on sale for $180
$180

Power Supply
CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-850HX
$170

Remaining parts to purchase:

CPU
Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz
$225

CPU Cooler
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus
$30

Motherboard
ASUS P8P67 PRO LGA 1155
$185

Memory
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 4GB (2 x 2GB)
$50

Video Card(s)
(NOLINK) GTX 560.
~$240

HDD
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB
$65

DVD Burner
ASUS Black CD/DVD Burner
$17

Additional Notes
I tried to pick things i saw advertised a lot on this site and newegg. (not sure if it was a good idea or not. :p  ) I've heard the GTX560 is suppose to be relased this week? so i figured it might as well try to grab one if its better than the 460 that i had initially planned on grabbing.
As i stated earlier, I plan to SLI pretty soon after the build (i wont quite have enough for the 2nd card at the time of the build)

Is a 4.5 overclock reasonable with that cooler or will it run too hot? Also for gaming is 4GB enough or should i just bite the bullet and go to 8? I dont do video editing or anything like that. If i go 8gb is it better to go 4 x2gb or 2 x 4gb (i dont plan on going higher than 8gb of ram in the next 2 years.)

I have done a lot of second guessing and i suppose i'm just looking for the "ok" that build is sound and i'm not going to regret this jump. I'm coming from a q6600 (no O.C) + 8800GT build + 2gb DDR2 system.
January 23, 2011 3:54:15 PM

I looks like a very good setup, some changes I would make, but simply personal preference, as what you have listed looks to be a powerful setup.

Ok, first thing, for a CPU cooler on the "cheap", I would go with a Scythe Mugen 2, it is only $10 more expensive, but offers superior cooling at a lower noise level than the Cooler Master 212+ (which is a good cooler as well).

Second, and again, this is purely personal preference as I have had too many bad experiences with Seagate in the past, I would go with a Samsung F3 or a Western Digital Caviar Black.

Is 4 GB enough for a game setup, yes, it is, but as the price of memory modules currently is very low, it might be a good idea to see if you could get an 8 GB kit to fit your budget.
m
l
January 23, 2011 4:49:58 PM

Thanks!

I actually saw the Samsung and the Seagate drives were the same price on newegg and that Samsung had the "customers choice" award. I chose Seagate primarily because all of the drives i have ever had have been Seagate. Do they likely preform similarly?

I'll definitely take a look at other that cooler. I think i'll have a bit more than i thought, so i'll probably go a bit over my budget. This makes me want to go ahead and take the 8gb route...

**Edit**
After looking at reviews and seeing the shipping cost for the Hyper212 from neweg, its not that much of a jump to go with the Mugen 2. I've made the necessary changes in my cart. :D 
m
l
January 23, 2011 5:33:04 PM

Yes, the drives perform more or less equally well, there are of course slight differences (the WD is slightly faster at accessing data), but in day to day performance, you would likely not know the difference.

For a comparison of the HDDs take a look at this test by Toms (the WDs in this test are not the newest iteration).
m
l
!