I need a new news server - Help

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
January 29, 2005 6:15:36 PM

Can anyone recommend a free news server for me to try? Mine is going
away soon.

More about : news server

Anonymous
January 29, 2005 6:19:12 PM

http://news.individual.net/

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN bert@visi.com
January 29, 2005 6:27:24 PM

Keep in mind "free" news servers have terrible uptimes, bad retention, and
are very, very slow. If "free" is your only option then I hope you find
one....because it's hard enough to even find a good one that you pay for.

<John> wrote in message news:41fba881.1064570@news.state.ak.us...
> Can anyone recommend a free news server for me to try? Mine is going
> away soon.
January 30, 2005 12:12:27 AM

In article <10vnsdj300dond8@corp.supernews.com>, xman@thedripper.com says...
> Keep in mind "free" news servers have terrible uptimes, bad retention, and
> are very, very slow. If "free" is your only option then I hope you find
> one....because it's hard enough to even find a good one that you pay for.

Depends what you're looking for...

The University of Berlin server has a very good reputation for text based groups..

news.individual.net to sign up..

T.
--
Please Tony, NO!! You'd look dreadful in a basque and fishnets..
January 30, 2005 12:12:28 AM

news.individual.net is great. I've been using it for years, before it
changed names. I can only recall noticing the server down about twice
for a very short time.

Tony Gartshore wrote:
> In article <10vnsdj300dond8@corp.supernews.com>, xman@thedripper.com says...
>
>>Keep in mind "free" news servers have terrible uptimes, bad retention, and
>>are very, very slow. If "free" is your only option then I hope you find
>>one....because it's hard enough to even find a good one that you pay for.
>>

> Depends what you're looking for...
>
> The University of Berlin server has a very good reputation for text based groups..
>
> news.individual.net to sign up..
>
> T.
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 11:46:14 AM

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 15:27:24 -0500, <xman@thedripper.com> wrote:

> Keep in mind "free" news servers have terrible uptimes, bad retention, and
> are very, very slow. If "free" is your only option then I hope you find
> one....because it's hard enough to even find a good one that you pay for.

news.individual.net suffers none of the above. It is better than most paid
services.
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 11:46:15 AM

In news:4v0ov057vt0mt2b5tourocogvosbg483s0@4ax.com Ken Oaf
<tipsy@beerlover.com.au> wrote:

> On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 15:27:24 -0500, <xman@thedripper.com> wrote:
>
>> Keep in mind "free" news servers have terrible uptimes, bad retention,
>> and are very, very slow. If "free" is your only option then I hope you
>> find one....because it's hard enough to even find a good one that you
>> pay for.
>
> news.individual.net suffers none of the above. It is better than most
> paid services.

Just no binaries.

If that's important to you, you'll probably have to pay.

If you're willing to pay, I suggest http://www.octanews.com

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN bert@visi.com
January 30, 2005 11:46:15 AM

Think about it...it's free. What service is free and good? Anyway, given the
fact there are no binaries at all it won't suit a lot of people's needs.
Hey, I'm all for free stuff...but I've also learned from using my computer
and working on them in the field for the last 20 years that some thing free
is usually too good to be true.

"Ken Oaf" <tipsy@beerlover.com.au> wrote in message
> On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 15:27:24 -0500, <xman@thedripper.com> wrote:
>
> > Keep in mind "free" news servers have terrible uptimes, bad retention,
and
> > are very, very slow. If "free" is your only option then I hope you find
> > one....because it's hard enough to even find a good one that you pay
for.

> news.individual.net suffers none of the above. It is better than most
paid
> services.

Anonymous
January 30, 2005 11:46:16 AM

free.teranews.com
You may look at this

<xman@thedripper.com> wrote in message
> Think about it...it's free. What service is free and good? Anyway, given
> the
> fact there are no binaries at all it won't suit a lot of people's needs.
> Hey, I'm all for free stuff...but I've also learned from using my computer
> and working on them in the field for the last 20 years that some thing
> free
> is usually too good to be true.
>
> "Ken Oaf" <tipsy@beerlover.com.au> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 15:27:24 -0500, <xman@thedripper.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Keep in mind "free" news servers have terrible uptimes, bad retention,
> and
>> > are very, very slow. If "free" is your only option then I hope you find
>> > one....because it's hard enough to even find a good one that you pay
> for.
>>
>> news.individual.net suffers none of the above. It is better than most
> paid
>> services.

Anonymous
January 31, 2005 4:37:03 PM

Hello!

Try

news.individual.net

You have to apply for a (free) account at

http://news.individual.net/

regards

molped

!