Hi Guys, Newcomer here, I hope you guys can give me some feedback? :)

gamerjake

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011
Hi Guys, I'm new here and I admit, I'm no expert on PC's. I just placed an order for a new PC, and although I know the rig isn't top notch as some of the configurations discussed here (some are pretty amazing!)

I'm hoping you guys can tell me if the choices I made according to my budget would enable me to have at least a decent experience and could satisfy basic tasks, home entertainment i.e Movies, Gaming etc. for at least the next year and half without needing major upgrades?

and if in the long run and if it would be possible or easier to upgrade according to my needs in the future? Sorry to trouble you guys if my question sounds really dumb and lame. I have a very limited budget atm and couldn't afford going for a i7 like I wanted to :(

But I think what I'm really trying to ask you guys is, is going for an i5 instead on an i7 going to severely impede me in the long run?

The Configuration is as follows:

-Intel Core i5 2400 - 3.10 GHz
-Intel M/Board - DH67BL
-G Skill DDRIII -1333 - 2GB x 02
-HDD - Samsung - SATA - 1TB
-Samsung LED 18.5" - BX19 Monitor
-Lite On SATA DVD/R+
-EVGA GTX460 - 1 GB

Thank You in Advance guys!

gamerjake

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011

Thank you! You really put my mind at ease :) I asked about it and they (the guy at the store) said that the In-Win B2 Case comes with a True 750W Power Unit. I hope that means it would be what the system needs?

Thank you so much again for answering my question :)

gamerjake

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011

Hi!

I managed to stretch my budget since I last posted, and I can (barely) shell out enough for a Core i7. But I came into a bit of a snag when it came to the motherboard :(

I thought of sticking to the rest of the configuration and instead of the Core i5 to go for a Core i7 950 and to go for a EVGA X58SLI3 Mainboard. But they said it would take a 2 weeks to get this board for me and instead suggested I go for the Intel DX58SO. I'm sorry to trouble you guys again, but should I wait for the EVGA Board or go for the DX58SO?

Since the GPU is also EVGA wouldn't there be greater compatibility and performance?

So Configuration as of now

* Core i7 950 3.06GHZ Processor
* Motherboard (?) Intel DX58SO / EVGA X58SLI3
* EVGA GTX460 - 1 GB
* G Skill DDRIII -1333 - 2GB x 02
* HDD - Samsung - SATA - 1TB
* Samsung LED 18.5" - BX19 Monitor
* Lite On SATA DVD/R+

Thank you again!

gamerjake

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011

Hi!

I managed to stretch my budget since I last posted, and I can (barely) shell out enough for a Core i7. But I came into a bit of a snag when it came to the motherboard :(

I thought of sticking to the rest of the configuration and instead of the Core i5 to go for a Core i7 950 and to go for a EVGA X58SLI3 Mainboard. But they said it would take a 2 weeks to get this board for me and instead suggested I go for the Intel DX58SO. I'm sorry to trouble you guys again, but should I wait for the EVGA Board or go for the DX58SO?

Since the GPU is also EVGA wouldn't there be greater compatibility and performance?

* EVGA GTX460 - 1 GB
* Lite On SATA DVD/R+

Thank you again!

gamerjake

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011

Hi!

* EVGA GTX460 - 1 GB
* Lite On SATA DVD/R+

Thank you again!

gamerjake

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011

Hi again, sorry for taking so long to reply, but isn't the corei7 more powerful than the corei5? Someone told me that they first developed the core i7 and then put out the corei5 and other processors as more affordable and less powerful options. I'm sorry if I sound dumb or clueless, I'm really not much of an expert beyond knowing processor speeds!

Thank you!

If you want a better system then upgrade to the Intel® Core™ I5-2500K and change the board to a P67 chipset based board. This will give you an even more powerful processor and board to support it. Then you might be look at upgrading to a better video card. This will give you an overall better system and still not break the bank.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

gamerjake

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/363?vs=100
as you can see the 2400 beats the 950 in many benchmarks including gaming, the reason is intels new architechture (1155) on the i5-2400 simply put. its more than that, but in laymens terms its down to the microarchitechture its the same reason why the 2400 would beat a core 2 extreme:
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/363?vs=48

wow... I had no idea I was getting ripped off! Thanks alot for helping me out here :) I would definitely go for the corei5 2400 or 2500 now :)

gamerjake

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011

Thank you so much! I was under the misguided impression that more expensive and a "7" instead of a "5" = better performance (smh :( I feel like a total dummy!)
Can you please suggest a suitable brand or model for the P67 series board? I don't know much about brands except Intel. Also could you suggest a better GPU for me? I was planning to use a single EVGA 460GTX what would be the next best GPU I could use to pair it with?

Thank you for helping me out!

gamerjake

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011

Thank you so much! I was under the misguided impression that more expensive and a "7" instead of a "5" = better performance (smh :( I feel like a total dummy!)
Can you please suggest a suitable brand or model for the P67 series board? I don't know much about brands except Intel. Also could you suggest a better GPU for me? I was planning to use a single EVGA 460GTX what would be the next best GPU I could use to pair it with?

Thank you for helping me out!