Sign in with
Your question

Gold from computer chips

Last response: in CPUs
April 20, 2011 4:26:11 PM

Hello,
can some help with the process of removing gold from computer chip, cpu, what r the best one to use n on average how much gold they contain.. ty

More about : gold computer chips

April 21, 2011 2:11:24 AM

Unless you are going to process thousands of chips it is not worth it. The gold in chips is a VERY thin plating on contacts.
m
l
a c 471 à CPUs
April 21, 2011 2:41:15 AM

There is probably about $3 - $4 worth of gold in a CPU. There would be more in a motherboard.

The best way to recover gold from electronics is to use a combination of concentrated nitric acid and concentrated hydrochloric acid; a volume ratio of about 1:3. That combination is known as "Aqua regia". It is pretty corrosive and dangerous and best used in a well ventilated room since using aqua reqia on electronics (or just about anything) results in toxic fumes.
m
l
Related resources
a c 83 à CPUs
April 21, 2011 3:41:28 AM

To give you an idea about the amount of gold, my brother in law does this. He's been doing it for around 2 or 3 years. I have no clue how many parts he's recovered, but its a lot. MANY computers worth. So far he's up to just over 1.5oz. I believe he has told me before that one whole computer is worth around a couple of grams.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 21, 2011 4:55:58 AM

I smell a potential market.
m
l
!