Building a new Computer for my Dad

d3fu5i0n

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
So... I'm building a new computer for my dad.

The parts I was looking at are:

ASUS M4A88T-M/USB3 - Motherboard
AMD Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition - CPU
PowerColor HD 5670 1GB DDR3 (It's not the 1GB I'm choosing [that's all pointless for my dad], it's the GDDR3 Mem. inteface) - GPU
Cooler Master Hyper TX3 - CPU Heatsink
4GB kit (2GBx2) Ballistix Tracer, DDR3 1333 - 7-7-7-24 1.65V - RAM
Corsair CX 430W - PSU (Do I need a 500W?)
Coolermaster Elite 342 [Black] - Case
Seagate 320GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache ~ OEM - HDD
Samsung SH-S223L 22x DVD±RW with LightScribe - ODD

Comes to a total of just over £380

My dad says he's not to worried about going Intel or AMD and NVidia and AMD/ATi. But I'm curious if I should pop for Intel, or if AMD will be fine. I've been with AMD on the long run once before and had them last longer than Intel chips.
I'm not really looking to OC to remove any bottlenecks, if there are any that is. I'd only OC after the warranties have gone. I am looking however to use the Core-Unlocker on the Mobo, to try and get 4 Cores going, at least 3 if 1 was actually dead.

What are your opinions on Intel - AMD, Nvidia - ATi (I have a bit of a matching thing: NVidia Chipset, I'd end up going for an NVidia GPU; AMD Chipset, I'd end up going for an AMD/ATi GPU... heh).

No biased opinions please, just pure experience.

Cheers

d3fu5i0n

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011

I general it just needs to be quick.
He does some work in Visio though.
No 3D work REALLY goes on, but the prices don't really get any cheaper for something lower end (so I just thought I'd go with that GPU), and my dad said it'd be a good idea that he has some futureproof-ness on the system.
It will be running Windows 7 Home Premium x64 - with Aero

I stated the price. He'd like to get it around £350, but doesn't mind £380 too much. Also you've got to include buying software and such, so prices do rocket up. :p