Gtx 460 bottleneck

MegaTrooper

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2010
Hello everyone.

So recently I bought a gtx 460 768mb. And as I understand my Intel core 2 duo e6420 @ 2.96 ghz is extremely bottlenecking it. I just finished playing Mafia 2 and it ran quite well, there was some stuttering and fps drops, but nothing major. Now, when I tried gta 4 framerate constantly drops to 0 then up again and back to zero and up again. It's impossible to play it. Other games like just cause 2 and metro 2033 are fully playable on highest settings even though graphics card usage never reaches more than 60 %.

I play games on 1280*1024 and soon I'll upgrade my monitor and I'll be playing on 1600*1050. I would like to know if games on that resolution would run better for me with gts 450? Will I often with my current setup run into issues like in gta 4?

MegaTrooper

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2010
Thanks for your answers. I'll stay with gtx 460.

I have 4gb of ram, 3.3gb of which is in use, because windows are 32bit.
The thing is that gta 4 ran fine with my old graphics card, of course on low settings and with low frame rate, but there wasn't that constant dropping to 0 fps. During benchmark I get 30 to 50 fps, but while playing game stops every two seconds. Not that I am very eager to play it, because I already did, but that strange issue got me kind of worried that other games might have same problem.

MegaTrooper

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2010
Strange thing. Even on lowest settings that lag persists and I assume there isn't that much bottlenecking, because on msi afterburner it shows that video card runs at full speed while playing gta 4. So I really don't understand the issue.

TRENDING THREADS