Sign in with
Your question

GT240 on Pentium D820. SC2 crashes

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 24, 2010 11:48:53 PM

Hi, anyone encounter Starcraft 2 game crashes? Im using a Inno3d GT240 512MB DRR5 on my Pentium D 820 with MSI board and 2gb ram, (my pc was bought on 2006), everytime i play SC2 theres a 90% chance il crash, my pc completely freezes, and i have to unplug/plug the power cord. When i switch to my old video card, a MSI Ati radeon x1300 pro 256mb same thing happens too. Using my pc for warcraft3 and other usage, no problem.
November 25, 2010 12:24:54 PM

Try checking the GPU temp when your playing. Could be your card overheating. Check the GPU fan and clean if there is dust. Try patching the game and also don't forget to update your video card driver
m
l
a c 147 U Graphics card
November 25, 2010 2:13:49 PM

^+1 on all items listed. Check temps of you video card when you are in game. You can download GPU-Z to do this. This is a very handy tool that many use. http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

Make sure you are not overheating because of dust build up. I'm surprised how many people don't clean out their PC every so often. Good practice is every 6 months open it up and take a vacuum to it and then blow it out with some air. And Air compressor works the best for this. If you sit it on the floor, more than 6 months is a good idea.
m
l
Related resources
December 5, 2010 4:43:01 AM

venjhammet said:
Try checking the GPU temp when your playing. Could be your card overheating. Check the GPU fan and clean if there is dust. Try patching the game and also don't forget to update your video card driver

Why would my card overheat? its a new card, just bought it specifically for SC2. I played it for about an hour only then it freezes, tried it several times. My friend told me that its because of incompatibility, since i am using an old PC (a pentium D 820 bought last 2006) on a new card.

What do u guys think?
m
l
December 5, 2010 2:10:17 PM

Try checking your power supply fan if it's turning. It might be overheating due to dust also.
m
l
February 9, 2013 1:42:05 AM

I am having the same problem (although with a core i7 860).
The odd thing is that my computer has even crashed waiting in the menus before I have even started a game.
It has been cleaned out very recently and the issue is not in any other games that I have played (LoL and Minecraft).
A driver update seemed to reduce the frequency of them but they are still fairly common.
m
l
February 9, 2013 1:43:12 AM

Sorry, I misread your original post.
My PC is not only freezing but completely crashing.
m
l
!