Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Bios update

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 7, 2005 10:46:51 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

laptop toshiba 7020ct

Bios update


i have downloaded the bios from the toshiba website and followed the
instructions but it does not work.

According to the instructions it says download it into a floppy and
update the Bios. They ask you to remove the laptop from the docking
station before updating. The floopy drive is in the docking station
and i dont have any thing else on the laptop except for a USB port.

Any way i tried using the docking station with the floppy in it but it
didnot work. I think there must be some way of updating please advise.

Thanks

Manohar

More about : bios update

March 8, 2005 6:57:35 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Manohar <manymanu@yahoo.ca> wrote:
: laptop toshiba 7020ct

: Bios update


: i have downloaded the bios from the toshiba website and followed the
: instructions but it does not work.

Does the BIOS actually fix any known problem you are having? If not,
I wouldn't bother anyway.

: According to the instructions it says download it into a floppy and
: update the Bios. They ask you to remove the laptop from the docking
: station before updating. The floopy drive is in the docking station
: and i dont have any thing else on the laptop except for a USB port.

: Any way i tried using the docking station with the floppy in it but it
: didnot work. I think there must be some way of updating please advise.

Usually, you make a boot floppy with some sort of BIOS-update tool on
it, then you boot the floppy and follow the instructions. Did you
make a boot floppy? Did it boot but then fail to update? What
specifically happened?

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
*******************************************************************
----> http://www.bizave.com <---- Photo Albums and Portland Info
----> To Email me remove "MYSHOES" from email address
*******************************************************************
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 8, 2005 9:33:27 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

usenetMYSHOES@bizaveMYSHOES.com (Andrew) wrote in message news:<cacaxcfydd114703813211@bizaveMYSHOES.com>...
> Manohar <manymanu@yahoo.ca> wrote:
> : laptop toshiba 7020ct
>
> : Bios update
>
>
> : i have downloaded the bios from the toshiba website and followed the
> : instructions but it does not work.
>
> Does the BIOS actually fix any known problem you are having? If not,
> I wouldn't bother anyway.
>
> : According to the instructions it says download it into a floppy and
> : update the Bios. They ask you to remove the laptop from the docking
> : station before updating. The floopy drive is in the docking station
> : and i dont have any thing else on the laptop except for a USB port.
>
> : Any way i tried using the docking station with the floppy in it but it
> : didnot work. I think there must be some way of updating please advise.
>
> Usually, you make a boot floppy with some sort of BIOS-update tool on
> it, then you boot the floppy and follow the instructions. Did you
> make a boot floppy? Did it boot but then fail to update? What
> specifically happened?
>
> Andrew

Hello,

Thanks for your reply. Let me explain what exactly happened. some
water was spilt on to the keyboard and after that when i type a letter
K i get the letter T and some times two or more letters for the same
key.

I could connect it to the external key board and mouse and log on to
the windows and every thing worked fine.

Since yesterday i am unable to boot and log on to windows and it says
update bios i do not know if this is the actual problem or not.

You are right i did not have any boot files in the floppy containing
the BIOS update can you tell me how exactly this is done that is
making a boot disk and bios update

Thanks again

Manu
Related resources
March 8, 2005 6:50:49 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Manohar <manymanu@yahoo.ca> wrote:
: Thanks for your reply. Let me explain what exactly happened. some
: water was spilt on to the keyboard and after that when i type a letter
: K i get the letter T and some times two or more letters for the same
: key.

: I could connect it to the external key board and mouse and log on to
: the windows and every thing worked fine.

: Since yesterday i am unable to boot and log on to windows and it says
: update bios i do not know if this is the actual problem or not.

Nope. A BIOS update isn't going to fix this problem, unless you have
added/upgraded hardware or something. The BIOS does not need to be
updated periodically. The BIOS is software that controls the computer
at a very low level. You update it only if the manufacturer releases
a newer BIOS that fixes some issue you were having. The BIOS won't
just go away and need to be updated on its own.

Perhaps what you are seeing is a message to *enter* your BIOS settings
to change a setting. (On my Toshiba, I hit ESC then F1 to enter the
BIOS settings menu.)

If you couldn't boot, then you might have a problem with your hard
drive or hard drive controller/motherboard. If you spilled water in
the computer, you might have caused some other damage besides the
keyboard. Perhaps moisture got onto the motherboard and eventually
caused corrosion or something.

Your CMOS/RTC battery could also have died. That's the tiny battery
that keeps your clock running when the laptop is turned off. Usually
this battery lasts for years before needing to be replaced. If you
have a very old laptop, the CMOS battery might be used to save all
your BIOS settings, so if the battery dies, your BIOS settings get
wiped out.

Try entering the BIOS menu (does it tell you what key to press? If
ESC or F1 doesn't do it, try the DEL key). Then again, if your
keyboard is fried, you might not be able to get into the BIOS. Not
sure an external keyboard will work. If you can get into the BIOS
settings, make sure it is seeing your hard drive as a recognized device.

: You are right i did not have any boot files in the floppy containing
: the BIOS update can you tell me how exactly this is done that is
: making a boot disk and bios update

I don't think there's any point in doing that.

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
*******************************************************************
----> http://www.bizave.com <---- Photo Albums and Portland Info
----> To Email me remove "MYSHOES" from email address
*******************************************************************
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 9, 2005 7:00:51 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

On 8 Mar 2005 06:33:27 -0800, manymanu@yahoo.ca (Manohar) wrote:

:>usenetMYSHOES@bizaveMYSHOES.com (Andrew) wrote in message news:<cacaxcfydd114703813211@bizaveMYSHOES.com>...
:>> Manohar <manymanu@yahoo.ca> wrote:
:>> : laptop toshiba 7020ct
:>>
:>> : Bios update
:>>
:>>
:>> : i have downloaded the bios from the toshiba website and followed the
:>> : instructions but it does not work.
:>>
:>> Does the BIOS actually fix any known problem you are having? If not,
:>> I wouldn't bother anyway.
:>>
:>> : According to the instructions it says download it into a floppy and
:>> : update the Bios. They ask you to remove the laptop from the docking
:>> : station before updating. The floopy drive is in the docking station
:>> : and i dont have any thing else on the laptop except for a USB port.
:>>
:>> : Any way i tried using the docking station with the floppy in it but it
:>> : didnot work. I think there must be some way of updating please advise.
:>>
:>> Usually, you make a boot floppy with some sort of BIOS-update tool on
:>> it, then you boot the floppy and follow the instructions. Did you
:>> make a boot floppy? Did it boot but then fail to update? What
:>> specifically happened?
:>>
:>> Andrew
:>
:>Hello,
:>
:>Thanks for your reply. Let me explain what exactly happened. some
:>water was spilt on to the keyboard and after that when i type a letter
:>K i get the letter T and some times two or more letters for the same
:>key.
:>
:>I could connect it to the external key board and mouse and log on to
:>the windows and every thing worked fine.
:>
:>Since yesterday i am unable to boot and log on to windows and it says
:>update bios i do not know if this is the actual problem or not.
:>
:>You are right i did not have any boot files in the floppy containing
:>the BIOS update can you tell me how exactly this is done that is
:>making a boot disk and bios update
:>
:>Thanks again
:>
:>Manu

It says to insert the BIOS disk because it thinks the F12 key is being
pressed. That was the "secret" hot key on older Toshiba models to force the
computer boot from a BIOS disk and update the BIOS. BTW, on most newer
models the F12 key brings up a "select boot device" menu.

As for instructions there should have been some sort of a README file with
the download that gives you the steps as to how to make the disk and how to
use it. Unfortunately it is not the same for all Toshiba models.

Good luck,
me/2
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 9, 2005 12:36:57 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

usenetMYSHOES@bizaveMYSHOES.com (Andrew) wrote in message news:<axcacacddrkr100984645413411@bizaveMYSHOES.com>...

Thanks for your message

You were right in what yu have said.

I will explain exactly what the message i used to get when i switch on
the laptop

READY FOR BIOS UPDATE INSERT ---- AND PRESS ANY KEY TO START OR SOME
THING LIKE THAT

I usually get this message when you press the F12 key on the key board
when you really want to update the BIOS.

I reaslized after reading your message may be the water spilled key
board was playing some tricks so i disconected the laptop key board
from the computer and rebooted the computer and every thing worked
fine.

I was able to start windows xp and use a external key board and mouse
to operate from then onwards.

Now i am sure my laptop key board is at fault and thinking of
replacing it, before that i was wondering if you have any
suggesitions do you think i can still salvage the water spilled
keyboard.

1)Do you think drying it for some more days will help
2) i have removed the keys from their socket do you think using
Alcohol to clean the key slots of the keyboard will help
3) Do you think it could be due to any error in the keyboard soft
wear.

I just want to be sure if the problem is soly due to keyboard
mechanical error before replacing it with another one.

Please advise

Regards,

Manu





Manohar <manymanu@yahoo.ca> wrote:
> : Thanks for your reply. Let me explain what exactly happened. some
> : water was spilt on to the keyboard and after that when i type a letter
> : K i get the letter T and some times two or more letters for the same
> : key.
>
> : I could connect it to the external key board and mouse and log on to
> : the windows and every thing worked fine.
>
> : Since yesterday i am unable to boot and log on to windows and it says
> : update bios i do not know if this is the actual problem or not.
>
> Nope. A BIOS update isn't going to fix this problem, unless you have
> added/upgraded hardware or something. The BIOS does not need to be
> updated periodically. The BIOS is software that controls the computer
> at a very low level. You update it only if the manufacturer releases
> a newer BIOS that fixes some issue you were having. The BIOS won't
> just go away and need to be updated on its own.
>
> Perhaps what you are seeing is a message to *enter* your BIOS settings
> to change a setting. (On my Toshiba, I hit ESC then F1 to enter the
> BIOS settings menu.)
>
> If you couldn't boot, then you might have a problem with your hard
> drive or hard drive controller/motherboard. If you spilled water in
> the computer, you might have caused some other damage besides the
> keyboard. Perhaps moisture got onto the motherboard and eventually
> caused corrosion or something.
>
> Your CMOS/RTC battery could also have died. That's the tiny battery
> that keeps your clock running when the laptop is turned off. Usually
> this battery lasts for years before needing to be replaced. If you
> have a very old laptop, the CMOS battery might be used to save all
> your BIOS settings, so if the battery dies, your BIOS settings get
> wiped out.
>
> Try entering the BIOS menu (does it tell you what key to press? If
> ESC or F1 doesn't do it, try the DEL key). Then again, if your
> keyboard is fried, you might not be able to get into the BIOS. Not
> sure an external keyboard will work. If you can get into the BIOS
> settings, make sure it is seeing your hard drive as a recognized device.
>
> : You are right i did not have any boot files in the floppy containing
> : the BIOS update can you tell me how exactly this is done that is
> : making a boot disk and bios update
>
> I don't think there's any point in doing that.
>
> Andrew
March 9, 2005 10:56:05 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Manohar <manymanu@yahoo.ca> wrote:
: usenetMYSHOES@bizaveMYSHOES.com (Andrew) wrote in message news:<axcacacddrkr100984645413411@bizaveMYSHOES.com>...
: Now i am sure my laptop key board is at fault and thinking of
: replacing it, before that i was wondering if you have any
: suggesitions do you think i can still salvage the water spilled
: keyboard.

: 1)Do you think drying it for some more days will help
: 2) i have removed the keys from their socket do you think using
: Alcohol to clean the key slots of the keyboard will help
: 3) Do you think it could be due to any error in the keyboard soft
: wear.

I doubt it's a software problem - it's most likely the water. Drying
it out might help. But it's only $50 to replace a keyboard (at least,
that's what it cost me recently to replace my Toshiba keyboard).
There comes a point when you just want to stop messing around with it
and get a new one, you know?

I must say, getting a new keyboard made my laptop feel like new! I
think I can even type faster on it.

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
*******************************************************************
----> http://www.bizave.com <---- Photo Albums and Portland Info
----> To Email me remove "MYSHOES" from email address
*******************************************************************
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 9, 2005 10:56:06 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 11:56:05 -0800, <usenetMYSHOES@bizaveMYSHOES.com>
wrote:

> Manohar <manymanu@yahoo.ca> wrote:

>
> : 1)Do you think drying it for some more days will help

might. If the water was clean.
Centrifuge in washing machine (spin cycle) make sure to immobilize with
pillows.
put it in the oven at very low heat.

> : 2) i have removed the keys from their socket do you think using
> : Alcohol to clean the key slots of the keyboard will help

no. that is just the mechanical side. The problem would be on the board
itself, under the top foil.

> : 3) Do you think it could be due to any error in the keyboard soft
> : wear.

no

>
> I doubt it's a software problem - it's most likely the water. Drying
> it out might help. But it's only $50 to replace a keyboard (at least,
> that's what it cost me recently to replace my Toshiba keyboard).
> There comes a point when you just want to stop messing around with it
> and get a new one, you know?
>
> I must say, getting a new keyboard made my laptop feel like new! I
> think I can even type faster on it.
>
Good point. Cheesy plastic DOES wear out.

> Andrew
> --




--
Fritz Oppliger
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 10, 2005 11:20:26 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Thanks Andrew,

I think that is what i am going to do. I live in Canada i was
wondering if you happen to know any websites i can buy. for the time
being i am using a external key board

Manohar


usenetMYSHOES@bizaveMYSHOES.com (Andrew) wrote in message news:<chjddc112102213611@bizaveMYSHOES.com>...
> Manohar <manymanu@yahoo.ca> wrote:
> : usenetMYSHOES@bizaveMYSHOES.com (Andrew) wrote in message news:<axcacacddrkr100984645413411@bizaveMYSHOES.com>...
> : Now i am sure my laptop key board is at fault and thinking of
> : replacing it, before that i was wondering if you have any
> : suggesitions do you think i can still salvage the water spilled
> : keyboard.
>
> : 1)Do you think drying it for some more days will help
> : 2) i have removed the keys from their socket do you think using
> : Alcohol to clean the key slots of the keyboard will help
> : 3) Do you think it could be due to any error in the keyboard soft
> : wear.
>
> I doubt it's a software problem - it's most likely the water. Drying
> it out might help. But it's only $50 to replace a keyboard (at least,
> that's what it cost me recently to replace my Toshiba keyboard).
> There comes a point when you just want to stop messing around with it
> and get a new one, you know?
>
> I must say, getting a new keyboard made my laptop feel like new! I
> think I can even type faster on it.
>
> Andrew
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 10, 2005 3:17:06 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Manohar wrote:
>
> Thanks Andrew,
>
> I think that is what i am going to do. I live in Canada i was
> wondering if you happen to know any websites i can buy. for the time
> being i am using a external key board

You want to buy a website? <g>

Seriously, while Andrew may have a better idea, I think your best
bet for a keyboard that's guaranteed to fit is directly from
Toshiba.

Remember that, unlike a desktop replacement, a laptop keyboard
has to be a *perfect* fit.

Good luck!

Notan
March 11, 2005 6:53:09 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Manohar <manymanu@yahoo.ca> wrote:
: Thanks Andrew,

: I think that is what i am going to do. I live in Canada i was
: wondering if you happen to know any websites i can buy. for the time
: being i am using a external key board

I got my keyboard from an outfit in California that uses a website
name MyToshiba.com . I got the idea the same business uses multiple
names, but whatever the case, their price was decent and it arrived in
short order. I don't know if they ship to Canada or how that works.

Mine is a Toshiba keyboard. It is probably a "2nd" - a couple of the
keys are slightly bent, but when I type I can't even notice (I'm a
touch typist). Appearance doesn't mean much to me.

The first thing to do is find out the genuine Toshiba part number for
your keyboard. Start at Toshiba's website - they don't sell parts to
consumers but they refer you to another site that does. Either at
that site or on Toshiba itself I found the part number by searching
for the laptop model number. Then search Google for that exact part
number. You will find a lot of sites selling it for various prices.
Pay attention to whether they are the real Toshiba parts or
"compatible" parts. I would stick with genuine Toshiba if I could.

You might also try eBay, though I'm not sure how I'd feel about a used
keyboard. I'm glad I got the keyboard I did.

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
*******************************************************************
----> http://www.bizave.com <---- Photo Albums and Portland Info
----> To Email me remove "MYSHOES" from email address
*******************************************************************
!