Sign in with
Your question

Keyboard and mouse not working after i shutdown cpu

Last response: in Components
April 20, 2011 10:56:10 PM

Hello. Thank you for stopping by and reading my post. My mouse and keyboard are working fine right now because i did a system restore on my computer. However, if i shut my computer down they will no longer work again. This is what happens. I can press F8 and get into my bios etc. But when i get to my login password screen my mouse and keyboard dont work. The light goes out under my mouse and my keyboard seems to be locked. I dont see my mouse courser either as it normally use to show up at the login password. Ive tested my mouse and keyboard on my other computer and it works fine. If i restart my computer it will work as well. Only when i shut down my computer they dont work. Right now i see on my shutdown button an exclamation mark saying it will update the computer then shutdown. Im thinking it might have to do with a update thats making my keyboard and mouse not work. It may be a virus making my computer to update but im not sure. I have a list of updates that need to be updated. Maybe theres a fake virus update in there? Below are the updates its asking me to update. If anyone out there has any suggestions i would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Cumulative Security Update for ActiveX Killbits for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2508272)
Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 8 for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2497640)
Security Update for .NET Framework 3.5.1 on Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 for x64-based Systems (KB2446710)
Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2491683)
Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2503658)
Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2506212)
Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2506223)
Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2507618)
Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2508429)
Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2510531)
Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2509553)
Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2511455)
Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2506014)
Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2511250)
Windows Internet Explorer 9 for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems
Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool x64 - April 2011 (KB890830)
Security Update for PowerPoint Viewer 2010 (KB2519984)
Security Update for Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package (KB2467175)
Security Update for Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (KB2467173)
Security Update for Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package (KB2467174)
Microsoft Silverlight (KB2526954)
Intel - Other hardware - Intel(R) Management Engine Interface
nVidia - Display, Other hardware - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570
Realtek Semiconductor Corp. - Audio - Realtek High Definition Audio
Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2488113)

My cpu
HP Pavilion Elite HPE-350t
Windows 7
mouse and keyboard are usb
April 20, 2011 11:48:52 PM

are the mouse and keyboard USB or do they use the green or purple circular plugs?
m
l
April 21, 2011 12:22:20 AM

festerovic said:
are the mouse and keyboard USB or do they use the green or purple circular plugs?

Mouse and keyboard are both usb.
m
l
Related resources
April 21, 2011 2:01:43 AM

if your BIOS is recognizing the KB and M then it must be software related. I don't think its a windows update though. I would try using a new kb and mouse to log in, then plug in the old ones and you may get prompted to update the drivers then.
m
l
April 21, 2011 2:10:00 AM

So just to make sure i understand you correctly.

While my computer is on unplug my mouse and keyboard
Plug in new mouse and keyboard
restart computer input password
when computer starts up plug back in old keyboard and mouse?
m
l
April 21, 2011 3:57:26 AM

or, if they are all usb, just connect them all to PC at once. Are the mouse and keyboard Microsoft by any chance?
m
l
April 21, 2011 4:38:45 AM

festerovic said:
or, if they are all usb, just connect them all to PC at once. Are the mouse and keyboard Microsoft by any chance?

There both hp products
m
l
April 21, 2011 4:27:15 PM

if I wasnt clear, you can have two mice and two KBs hooked up at once if you have the usb ports available. You just want to be able to use a working kb and mouse to get into windows so it can try and fix stuff.
m
l
April 21, 2011 5:21:30 PM

Why don't you just reset your cmos to factory defaults.
That might do the trick.
m
l
April 21, 2011 7:40:07 PM

davcon said:
Why don't you just reset your cmos to factory defaults.
That might do the trick.

I guess i can do that but its a pain reinstalling everything back again. Plus i need to buy an external drive to back everything up. Theres got to be someone be another solution.
m
l
April 21, 2011 7:43:44 PM

What do you mean?
A bios reset will not effect your O/S and installed programs.
It will return your pc to out of box factory settings.
It could very well allow you to regain your mouse and kb functions.
m
l
April 21, 2011 7:44:01 PM

umm he means take out the battery on the mobo or use the "reset to defaults" option in your BIOS page.
m
l
April 21, 2011 7:46:31 PM

festerovic said:
if I wasnt clear, you can have two mice and two KBs hooked up at once if you have the usb ports available. You just want to be able to use a working kb and mouse to get into windows so it can try and fix stuff.

i just connected another mouse and i got a message on my taskbar saying driver are being downloaded. I dont have another keyboard i can you on this comp. Im going to try and see if that did the trick.
m
l
April 21, 2011 7:49:04 PM

festerovic said:
umm he means take out the battery on the mobo or use the "reset to defaults" option in your BIOS page.

ah ok! Im going to to reset my bios to defaults. ill be back in a second to report back. Thanks!
m
l
April 21, 2011 7:50:03 PM

festerovic said:

Will pulling out the battery from the mobo affect anything? I dont want to take any risks damaging anything? I havent done that before. Any precautions i should take?
m
l
April 21, 2011 9:06:02 PM

what about the updates up above i have listed that my computer is asking for?
m
l
April 21, 2011 9:49:47 PM

djphaze said:
Will pulling out the battery from the mobo affect anything? I dont want to take any risks damaging anything? I havent done that before. Any precautions i should take?

to reset to defaults, press f1 or del or f2 or whatever it says during startup to enter bios. Then look for reset to default.

The battery thing would be the last thing to do, you should not need to do that unless you can't find the jumper or enter the bios.
m
l
April 21, 2011 9:58:26 PM

Yes i would do all the critical and important MS updates.
I would skip optional ones like.
Intel - Other hardware - Intel(R) Management Engine Interface
nVidia - Display, Other hardware - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570
Realtek Semiconductor Corp. - Audio - Realtek High Definition Audio
I would update those directly from the first party sites.
Ms tends to mess up hardware related updates in my experience.
m
l
April 21, 2011 10:04:44 PM

I did a keyboard default driver settings from the link you gave me. Downloaded them. restarted my computer. I got the dreadful blue screen. Searched to repaired the problem. Computer found problem and fixed it. i decided to then shut down my computer. This time it actually did the updates and took a couple of mins. Then it shutdown. The mouse and keyboard now worked! Then when it started back up it started to configure all the new updates. Everything looks good. I shut it down again to make sure it works still and it does! Im not sure if it was the pluggin in of the keyboard or the driver download for the keyboard that davcon suggested but everything looks like its running fine now! Thanks alot to you both!
m
l
April 22, 2011 7:24:35 AM

It actually happened again. I did a norton update and it restarted my cpu and my keyboard and mouse wouldnt work. I did the bios default settings. That didnt help. then i removed the battery from the mobo. Still didnt work. Had to system restore again. Im afraid this isnt going away.
m
l
April 22, 2011 4:47:35 PM

Consider buying a new kB and mouse... what's your time worth to you trying to figure it out?
m
l
April 22, 2011 7:35:08 PM

festerovic said:
Consider buying a new kB and mouse... what's your time worth to you trying to figure it out?

Were can i get a good deal on these two? Right now im working part time so i have all the time in the world
m
l
April 22, 2011 7:39:24 PM

newegg is good for online. Amazon maybe too. Logitech KB&M may cost $30 for a combo. Not sure what you are looking for aside from the basics.

I go to crappy B&M stores like Frys and Best buy only when I'm desperate.
m
l
April 22, 2011 7:42:06 PM

Im feeling a lil desperate right now! lol. Maybe ill check on newegg. Ive shopped there before. Do you think this will solve the problem?
m
l
April 22, 2011 9:08:35 PM

Sorry dude, but I can't really tell what's wrong. The only two solutions I can think of both suck, which is: Buy a new KB and M, or reinstall windows.
m
l
April 26, 2011 1:52:32 AM

Does anyone one else have any suggestions? i want to avoid reinstalling windows or deleting everything from my cpu.
m
l
April 26, 2011 4:23:23 AM

festerovic said:
Sorry dude, but I can't really tell what's wrong. The only two solutions I can think of both suck, which is: Buy a new KB and M, or reinstall windows.

Hard drive has an exclamation mark on it. It states theres a problem with Pnp devices. I guess this is Plug n play? Is there anything i can do to fix this? Could this be the problem?
m
l
April 26, 2011 4:35:47 AM

That would explain no mouse and kb.
Plug n Play is probably disabled or turned off in Services.
Should be enabled and started automatic in local services.
Control Panel
Administrative Tools
Services
m
l
April 26, 2011 5:47:00 AM

davcon said:
That would explain no mouse and kb.
Plug n Play is probably disabled or turned off in Services.
Should be enabled and started automatic in local services.
Control Panel
Administrative Tools
Services

Plug in play was enabled however, pnp-X IP Bus Enumerator was stopped. Could this be the problem?
m
l
April 26, 2011 6:00:36 AM

Yep that should be set to manual.
Why don't you go to this website and set-up your services properly for your O/S.
http://www.blackviper.com/
I have used his set-up guides for years.
m
l
April 26, 2011 6:28:23 AM

davcon said:
Yep that should be set to manual.
Why don't you go to this website and set-up your services properly for your O/S.
http://www.blackviper.com/
I have used his set-up guides for years.

pnp-X IP Bus Enumerator is actually set to manual. I tried trouble shooting the pnp problem but it couldnt find a way to fix it. Ok im going to check that out. Below is the problem im talking about

m
l
!