First time builder, cpu led indicate high voltage

bananakorps

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2011
Hello, I just finish assemble my first DIY pc. When i turn it on for the first time, the cpu fan is making a lot of noise, and all the onboard LEDs are indicating that i have high voltage/temperature on CPU and northbridge.... What do I do??

I'm running a i7-950 cpu with a Gigabyte X58A-UD3R board, with corsair 750W psu

please help

Solution
Welcome to Tom's Hardware.

First I would check to make sure your heat sink is fully seated and that you used the proper amount of thermal compound. This will require you to remove the heat sink, clean off the thermal compound (heat sink and CPU), reapply the correct amount and reinstall the heat sink.

tecmo34

Administrator
Welcome to Tom's Hardware.

First I would check to make sure your heat sink is fully seated and that you used the proper amount of thermal compound. This will require you to remove the heat sink, clean off the thermal compound (heat sink and CPU), reapply the correct amount and reinstall the heat sink.

Solution

you can go on youtube to find videos on how to apply thermal past, proper seating of the model of cpu / motherboard.

much easyer that way

bananakorps

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2011
I've checked the youtube video, I did everything according to it...

and i just took apart the cpu fan to see if there's anything wrong, i'm wondering can i just put the cpu fan back without re-applying the thermal paste? The i7 cpu stock fan comes with pre-applied thermal paste, i don't know why suddenly i have a problem with it....

tecmo34

Administrator
Once you remove the heat sink, you have to reapply new thermal paste to avoid air pockets and even worse heat transfer.

If temps still don't improve, I would look at an aftermarket cooler like the Cooler Master Hyper 212+, since stock coolers aren't the best coolers around (should do the trick on a non-overclocked system though).

bananakorps

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2011
that's my question though, i wasn't overclocking, i wasn't even doing anything, i've just finish assemble the computer with 1 hd, 2 dvd-rom and a GPU on it, and as soon as i turned on the computer, the cpu overheat. i don't know what is going on