Sign in with
Your question

MSI x58a-GD45 started a fire

Last response: in Motherboards
December 26, 2011 5:58:22 PM

As a precursor to this discussion, the initial mainboard problem that I encountered with the MSI x58-GD45 mainboard after I purchased it new from newegg.com are detailed here...

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tom...

Jumping forward to the present:

After I RMA'd the mainboard, MSI sent me a replacement unit (not new). I installed it, powered on, booted up, and ran the Windows 7 experience test. The test maxed out at 7.9, but the unit immediately lost power. I carefully checked all connections and restarted the unit. The main board immediately caught fire, sending thick white-gray smoke billowing out into my home.

I am positive that everything was connected correctly and that no wires or metal were touching the mainboard inadvertently.

I quickly unplugged the unit and took it to Best Buy for their service technicians to evaluate. The final report indicated that the mainboard was defective and caused the fire.

The list of my components installed during the time of the fire:

CPU -- Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor BX80601950

Case -- Antec Sonata Series SOLO II Black Aluminum / Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Mainboard -- MSI X58A-GD45 LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Video Card -- MSI N580GTX Lightning GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 1536MB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Power Supply -- High Current Pro HCP-750 750W TX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.92 SLI Certified CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

Memory -- CORSAIR XMS3 12GB (3 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000) Desktop Memory Model CMX12GX3M3A2000C9

SSD -- OCZ Vertex 3 – MAX IOPS Edition VTX3MI-25SAT3-240G 2.5" 240GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

HDD -- Western Digital Caviar Black WD2002FAEX 2TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Monitor -- ASUS VW246H Glossy Black 24" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen LCD

DVD burner -- ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM

OS -- Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit

extra case fan -- Antec TrueQuiet 120

---

Everything except for the monitor suffered smoke and/or fire damage and must be replaced.

I have attempted to post this issue as a rating on newegg.com, but it is rejected, presumably because I mentioned the fire, MSI, and the small claims lawsuit I have filed against MSI for damages incurred.

I am very lucky that my home did not burn down.

Two mainboards from MSI and two failures. Seven weeks wasted and NO new computer to show for it. I have to reorder everything and start over.

When I finally sort through this issue, and receive redress from MSI, what mainboard would you recommend for an Intel i7 950 LGA 1366 CPU, other than an MSI mainboard? I desire SATA III, USB 3.0, and at least three PDI-express slots.

Thank you.

July 12, 2012 9:22:16 PM

This issue is finally resolved after nearly seven months. I actually had to sue MSI in smalls claim court for $3000 in damages due to the MSI mainboard fire that destroyed my brand new computer back in December 2012 plus the time that I invested in attempting to resolve the issue with MSI.

The judge reviewed all evidence and found in my favor. He awarded me $2000 in damages plus legal expenses this week and MSI has now paid me per the court's instructions. I did not receive the full amount that I asked for, but I am still satisfied because the court's award of damages will barely allow me to buy new parts to replace the ones that were destroyed by smoke from the fire that the MSI mainboard caused.

Needless to say, I will never buy an MSI product again.

The fact that the mainboard caught on fire was not the most disturbing part. After all, I understand that defects can happen. However, the intransience, indifference, and obstinacy that MSI displayed toward me while I attempted to resolve the issue with them out of court was very alarming. It is good to know that as consumers, we have the civil justice system to fall back on when large corporations fail to live up to their responsibilities and obligations.

For future builds, starting with my next one, I am strongly considering some type of builder's insurance policy so that I do not have to go through this kind of lengthy nightmare again where a single component malfunctions and destroys my entire computer and then the manufacturer basically says, "too bad."

Doe anyone have any advice on builder's insurance for a single project (build)?

Thanks.
m
l
!