ASUS p8z68-v cpu led red

Whitebomb

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2011
Hey guys just built my first rig and put together an ASUS p8z68-v mobo with an i5 2500k, cooler 212 plus heatsink, gigabyte gtx 570, and an 850w corsair enthusiast PSU.

When i boot the rig it dies after about 3 seconds and then restarts a few seconds later, the red CPU LED shining any time there is power. I made sure of all my connections retried the multiple times, my CPU was placed carefully and properly, as was my thermal paste. If there are any fixes for this without an RMA I would be greatly appreciative, and if I must RMA? Will it be my mobo, CPU, or both?

Thanks for any help!

Whitebomb

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2011
No it is not the the one by the RAM, not the one by the GPU, and not the Boot Device LED. It is the the CPU LED, i already reseated the cpu and heatsink and still no dice. And the instruction manual just says that the lights help tell which thing is broken more easily, there is no color coordination that indicates a specific issue is detected. The only color is red and its bad if you see it.

When is the light on, it didn't pass the check and remains lighting red. So the issue is the CPU.

2.2.6 Onboard LEDs
1. POST State LEDs

The POST State LEDs of CPU, DRAM, VGA card, and HDD indicate key components
status during POST (Power-on Self Test). If an error is found , the LED next to the
error device will continue lighting until the problem is solved. This user-friendly design
provides an intuitional way to locate the root problem within a second.

logoers

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
It is the the CPU LED, i already reseated the cpu and heatsink and still no dice.
g.gif

garyfletcher

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
Did you reslove this?

I am having the same POST issue, with the cpu LED lit. This is the 2nd CPU and 2nd motherboard so I am sure there can't be a component issue, but something I am doing in the set up.

Can't hear ANY beeps at all on boot-up so not sure what the problem is.

Any/all help gratefully accepted.

mmallette

Honorable
Apr 8, 2012

Did you resolve the issue? I'm having the same problem; cpu led is red continuously. I've tried everything imaginable and I'm trying to avoid an unnecessary RMA.