How are you learning Photoshop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jake

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2001

I'm looking for effective ways to increase my knowledge of Photoshop. So
far I've been reading tutorials on the web, and of course I use the program
as much as possible. I would consider myself "competent" on all the basic
skills that I need for digital photography and some website design:
Selection, cropping, basic color correction, curves, layers, etc. I want to
get better at more subtle image manipulation, using layer masks, channels,
etc. In leiu of a teacher with years of experience - which would be great -
reading on the web and following specific tutorials is the best way I've
come up with. I've purchased two books on PS, and I've downloaded some
video tutorials. There is a class being offered about 3 hours from here
that I'm considering attending. The cost is $150 for an 8-hour class.
Any advice on how to supplement this approach would be greatly appreciated.

jake

information

Hi Jake,
The Adobe forums are good for questions like these in case you
haven't discovered them yet. I am going through the same thing at the
moment (though I am using PSE); and, for the basics, I liked the Adobe
Photoshop Elements Classroom in a Book (Adobe Press), although, you may
be quite past that stage. Did you find any of the books you used
particularly helpful?

Jake wrote:
> I'm looking for effective ways to increase my knowledge of Photoshop. So
> far I've been reading tutorials on the web, and of course I use the program
> as much as possible. I would consider myself "competent" on all the basic
> skills that I need for digital photography and some website design:
> Selection, cropping, basic color correction, curves, layers, etc. I want to
> get better at more subtle image manipulation, using layer masks, channels,
> etc. In leiu of a teacher with years of experience - which would be great -
> reading on the web and following specific tutorials is the best way I've
> come up with. I've purchased two books on PS, and I've downloaded some
> video tutorials. There is a class being offered about 3 hours from here
> that I'm considering attending. The cost is $150 for an 8-hour class.
> Any advice on how to supplement this approach would be greatly appreciated.
>
> jake

I take it you already make use of the Adobe Forums. If not, give them a
try. Very often users will offer several workable approaches to any need.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

Hi Jake,
"Total Training For Photoshop" are an excellent set of 7 DVD's
they are expensive but are an excellent way to learn as you can stop and
replay the DVD's at any point.
Best Regards
Graham

In article <iyOKd.36$Wi6.12@fe2.columbus.rr.com>, "Jake" <jake@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I'm looking for effective ways to increase my knowledge of Photoshop.

I suggest you start doing paying work in Photoshop. Either get a job where
you use Photoshop all day, or if that isn't practical, try to take on
freelance jobs where you use it.

--
Jedd Haas - Artist
http://www.gallerytungsten.com

"Jedd Haas" <jnh@epsno.com> wrote in message
> In article <iyOKd.36$Wi6.12@fe2.columbus.rr.com>, "Jake" <jake@yahoo.com>
wrote:

> > I'm looking for effective ways to increase my knowledge of Photoshop.
>
> I suggest you start doing paying work in Photoshop. Either get a job where
> you use Photoshop all day, or if that isn't practical, try to take on
> freelance jobs where you use it.

I used a magasine called Computer Arts (available in UK and prob US...).

I frequently has specials dedicated to PS and they include all the files for
the job so you just follow their instructions.

Great for gettting to grips with some fairly technical aspects of the
program.

Once you are up to speed go it on your own...

Good Luck.

In article <jnh-1002051956260001@192.168.0.102>,
jnh@epsno.com (Jedd Haas) wrote:

> In article <iyOKd.36$Wi6.12@fe2.columbus.rr.com>, "Jake" <jake@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> > I'm looking for effective ways to increase my knowledge of Photoshop.
>
> I suggest you start doing paying work in Photoshop. Either get a job where
> you use Photoshop all day, or if that isn't practical, try to take on
> freelance jobs where you use it.

There are a number of magazines available in the UK. Digital Photo
magazine has a free CD every month with avi tutorials and pdf tutorials
showing specific problems and how to deal with them - see
http://www.greatmagazines.co.uk/store/displaystore.asp?sid=91&custid=0
You can also order back issues too.

Focus Guides are a bit more technical and are produced by Adobe
themselves see http://www.futurelicensing.com/home/titles/PFG