Using the Intel Rapid Storage Technology Help?

AubG

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2011
I have a Samsung 830 Series 64GB SSD and a 1TB Black Caviar HDD I am trying to install my operating system and then use the Intel Rapid Storage Tehnology to turn it into one volume. I am not sure on the specifics but that is what my end goal is. I would like if anyone could tell me a step by step process on how to go about doing this from the initial operating system install.

Components:

Intel C I7 2600k
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO motherboard
Samsung 830 series SSD
WD 1TB Caviar Black HDD
RAM 4x4GB Kingston 1600MHz

Please and thank you
AubG

eejdoowad

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011
I had a very similar question a while ago. I have the same motherboard, and SSD, but a different 1TB hard drive. Here's the link.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/277000-32-best-64gb-motherboard

I also suggest you post this question in the SSD section if you want more answers.

What I ended up doing was just using my 64Gb 830 series SSD as a boot drive with a few commonly used applications. From what I read - and let me tell you, I read a lot - Intel's RST was created to introduce the improvement offered by SSDs over HDDs to users who couldn't justify the costs of higher capacity SSDs back when they were really expensive (and by higher capacity i mean >~20Gb). The performance of an RST setup is better than that of a purely HDD setup, but not quite as good as what you would get using the SSD as a boot drive.

If you insist on using RST, all I can say is that you're supposed to install windows on your HDD, not your SSD. Don't know much more than that.

TRENDING THREADS