Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

IBM TP600X LCD/CRT problem

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 8, 2005 6:34:45 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Hi, my TP600X has a weird problem with the display going blank
occasionally. If I press the Fn+F7 several times to change the display
mode, then the picture comes back. It may work for hours or some minutes
before the effect reappears.

What could be the problem? I'm using Windows 2000 and SP4.

I tried to look for clues in Google newsgroups from ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad
etc. and some similar symptoms exist but no resolution. Some suggest a
problem with the lid switch, some the motherboard.

Thank in advance,

Jussi
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 9, 2005 6:47:07 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Jussi Saily wrote:
>
> Hi, my TP600X has a weird problem with the display going blank
> occasionally. If I press the Fn+F7 several times to change the display
> mode, then the picture comes back. It may work for hours or some minutes
> before the effect reappears.
>
> What could be the problem? I'm using Windows 2000 and SP4.
>
> I tried to look for clues in Google newsgroups from ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad
> etc. and some similar symptoms exist but no resolution. Some suggest a
> problem with the lid switch, some the motherboard.
>
> Thank in advance,
>
> Jussi

When the display shuts off, hit the lid switch and see if it comes back. Next
time it gos out, move/flex the lid, see if it comes back.
--
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Tommy, come on up here, have you ever been up in the cockpit before?
Captain Ovuer - Airplane
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 9, 2005 11:54:20 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Capt. 'Wild' Bill Kelso, USAAC wrote:
> Jussi Saily wrote:
>
>>Hi, my TP600X has a weird problem with the display going blank
>>occasionally. If I press the Fn+F7 several times to change the display
>>mode, then the picture comes back. It may work for hours or some minutes
>>before the effect reappears.
>>
>>What could be the problem? I'm using Windows 2000 and SP4.
>>
>>I tried to look for clues in Google newsgroups from ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad
>>etc. and some similar symptoms exist but no resolution. Some suggest a
>>problem with the lid switch, some the motherboard.
>>
>>Thank in advance,
>>
>>Jussi
>
>
> When the display shuts off, hit the lid switch and see if it comes back. Next
> time it gos out, move/flex the lid, see if it comes back.

Capt.,

That is affirmative! The problem seems to be the switch indeed, as when
I touch it the screen comes back & vice versa.

Now is there a cost effective way to clean / replace the microswitch
(like FRU2645-XXXX or a Radio Shack switch) ? Or should I just bypass it
on the circuit board? Bypassing would mean no standby mode.

Thanks, you saved my day!

Jussi
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 9, 2005 11:54:21 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Jussi Saily wrote:
> Capt. 'Wild' Bill Kelso, USAAC wrote:
>> Jussi Saily wrote:
>>
>>> Hi, my TP600X has a weird problem with the display going blank
>>> occasionally. If I press the Fn+F7 several times to change the
>>> display mode, then the picture comes back. It may work for hours or
>>> some minutes before the effect reappears.
>>>
>>> What could be the problem? I'm using Windows 2000 and SP4.
>>>
>>> I tried to look for clues in Google newsgroups from
>>> ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad etc. and some similar symptoms exist but no
>>> resolution. Some suggest a problem with the lid switch, some the
>>> motherboard. Thank in advance,
>>>
>>> Jussi
>>
>>
>> When the display shuts off, hit the lid switch and see if it comes
>> back. Next time it gos out, move/flex the lid, see if it comes back.
>
> Capt.,
>
> That is affirmative! The problem seems to be the switch indeed, as
> when I touch it the screen comes back & vice versa.
>
> Now is there a cost effective way to clean / replace the microswitch
> (like FRU2645-XXXX or a Radio Shack switch) ? Or should I just bypass
> it on the circuit board? Bypassing would mean no standby mode.
>
> Thanks, you saved my day!
>
> Jussi

You might clean the switch with electronics cleaner. BTW the laptop
should go into standby just fine even if the switch is bypassed; the
switch simply triggers standby on lid closure.

Q
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 10, 2005 6:55:30 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Quaoar wrote:
>
> You might clean the switch with electronics cleaner. BTW the laptop
> should go into standby just fine even if the switch is bypassed; the
> switch simply triggers standby on lid closure.

Not a good idea. It also turns the display off when closed.

Regards,

James
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 10, 2005 6:57:49 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Jussi Saily wrote:

> That is affirmative! The problem seems to be the switch indeed, as
> when I touch it the screen comes back & vice versa.

Take the keyboard surround off and clean the switch with canned air and
_gently_ clean the plastic pushrod that activates it.

Rarely necessary to replace or bypass the switch.

Regards,

James
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 10, 2005 8:46:32 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Is the switch sticking? You may try to clean it.. try a can of compressed air
to blow dust out from contacts, but be careful, the switch is fragile, so try
not to rock it while cleaning. you could bypass it, but the screen would stay
on..

Jussi Saily wrote:
>
> Capt. 'Wild' Bill Kelso, USAAC wrote:
> > Jussi Saily wrote:
> >
> >>Hi, my TP600X has a weird problem with the display going blank
> >>occasionally. If I press the Fn+F7 several times to change the display
> >>mode, then the picture comes back. It may work for hours or some minutes
> >>before the effect reappears.
> >>
> >>What could be the problem? I'm using Windows 2000 and SP4.
> >>
> >>I tried to look for clues in Google newsgroups from ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad
> >>etc. and some similar symptoms exist but no resolution. Some suggest a
> >>problem with the lid switch, some the motherboard.
> >>
> >>Thank in advance,
> >>
> >>Jussi
> >
> >
> > When the display shuts off, hit the lid switch and see if it comes back. Next
> > time it gos out, move/flex the lid, see if it comes back.
>
> Capt.,
>
> That is affirmative! The problem seems to be the switch indeed, as when
> I touch it the screen comes back & vice versa.
>
> Now is there a cost effective way to clean / replace the microswitch
> (like FRU2645-XXXX or a Radio Shack switch) ? Or should I just bypass it
> on the circuit board? Bypassing would mean no standby mode.
>
> Thanks, you saved my day!
>
> Jussi

--
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am BillGatus of Borg. Resistance is futile. You will be assim
[General Protection Fault]
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 10, 2005 11:41:33 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

I had that problem with mine, it turned out to be the backlight.
Although replacement backlights are sold for about $60.00, the
problem was finding a place to do the replacement, most places won't
open up the display to repair anything, they'll try to rip you off
and make you buy an entirely new display system for like $300.00.

I did manage to find a place, the guy replaced the backlight, labour
included it only cost me $80.00.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 12, 2005 7:07:22 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

PlaidAvenger wrote:
>
> I had that problem with mine, it turned out to be the backlight.
> Although replacement backlights are sold for about $60.00, the
> problem was finding a place to do the replacement, most places won't
> open up the display to repair anything, they'll try to rip you off
> and make you buy an entirely new display system for like $300.00.
>
> I did manage to find a place, the guy replaced the backlight, labour
> included it only cost me $80.00.

still kinda pricey when backlights run $25. I hope $55 labor included dinner
and a movie.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am BillGatus of Borg. Resistance is futile. You will be assim
[General Protection Fault]
!