Sign in with
Your question

Laptop cpu cooling question

Last response: in CPUs
April 21, 2011 7:42:22 AM

ok, i took apart my toshiba m305d in fears of over heating in the long run, anyways id figure i try to put some artic silver on (not my first time), anyways this laptop has a plastic slip over the cpu, should i remove it or leave it be??, ive never seen such.., and on top of the plastic the coolint pad is on it.. kinda, lol

any ideas if i should just remove that or leave it be, the reason im looking into putting artic silver on it is cause for some reason the temps where going up and down 10 degrees like crazy within seconds..., it was stable but i def wasnt gonna take a chance and wait
a c 897 à CPUs
a b D Laptop
April 21, 2011 8:19:03 AM

Plastic would insulate and you will need it to conduct heat.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 21, 2011 1:54:12 PM

Get a cooling tray as well. They're relatively cheap and do wonders for helping with laptop cooling.
m
l
Related resources
April 22, 2011 8:20:41 PM

well, i left the plastic on, andused artic silver 5 and put the thremal pad back on the gpu...which i didnt like at all, but there was such a gap in between the two, that it wasnt possible with out it, now the temps are still going up... like 77 C when pushin the gpu, i think im gonna look into a copper shim for it and replace that thremal pad, what yall think??

the cooling trays might be good but im not lookin for somthin to attach to this laptop, its either gonna work or im sellin it
m
l
June 6, 2011 3:20:47 AM

cobra11 said:
well, i left the plastic on, andused artic silver 5 and put the thremal pad back on the gpu...which i didnt like at all, but there was such a gap in between the two, that it wasnt possible with out it, now the temps are still going up... like 77 C when pushin the gpu, i think im gonna look into a copper shim for it and replace that thremal pad, what yall think??

the cooling trays might be good but im not lookin for somthin to attach to this laptop, its either gonna work or im sellin it

I have the same model - I removed the 2, 4, 6, and 10 screws on the back, the keyboard and the screws with the the arrows but the top will not come off to allow access to the heat sink. I don't have a maintenance manual can you tell me what I am missing or give me a link to a maintenance manual?
m
l
!