Please Verify $1500 Gaming Machine

Can you guys please verify that I have everything I need before I place this order? I'm hoping to order from newegg in the next few days.

I may overclock the CPU but won't be doing it for now. I'm thinking I'll get a few years out of this box.

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 ...
(combo with GPU)

MOBO: ASRock P67 Extreme6 LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX ...
$194.99

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 ...
$104.99

SSD: OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD2-2VTXE60G 2.5" 60GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid ...
$129.99

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s ...
$64.99

PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire ...
$109.99

GPU: XFX HD-687A-ZNFC Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express ...
$539.99 (combo with CPU)

DVD: ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM
$16.99

Case: COOLER MASTER HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN1-GP Black Steel + Plastic and ...
$99.98

Monitor: Asus ML228H 21.5" Full HD LED BackLight LED Monitor Slim Design
$149.99

Keyboard: Microsoft Comfort Curve Keyboard 2000
$18.99

OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders ...
$99.99

Total: $1,530.88 (+$8.69 S/H -$65 mail-in rebate = $1,474.57)

Missing anything? Anything you would change?

Thanks.
12 answers Last reply
More about please verify 1500 gaming machine
  1. I like the build.

Some questions (I don't have concrete answers to them, but just food for thought): Is the SSD really worth it for gaming? Or can that $$$ be better spent elsewhere? Do you need such an expensive case? There are some cheaper mid tower options out there (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146061).

Here are some minor changes I would make:

- forego the SSD and just go pure HDD
    - get a cheaper case that still has good cooling capabilities (good ventilation and then install fans yourself to save $50)
    - pay $5 for a keyboard instead of $19
    - walk onto any university campus and find a student that can get a free copy of windows and pay them $10 for their trouble.

This will save you around ~$285 without really degrading any of your performance. With that money, I would get a different monitor (with a cushy $435 budget after removing the monitor you currently have selected). Namely, I'd get one of the newer 120 hz 2 ms LCDs. A monitor with less ghosting will give you a more enjoyable gaming experience than an SSD or a nicer case.

Here's a list of 120 Hz, 2 ms LCDs:
    - BenQ XL2410T [LED] - $470
    - Acer GD235HZ - $350
    - Alienware Optx AW2310 $450
    - ASUS VG236H [includes 3D kit] - $500

There's also a Samsung 120 Hz monitor floating around out there, but it's 5 ms so I didn't include it.
  2. Thank you for the feedback martian.

Though I'd like it to be an total gaming machine, I know I'll also have to use it for work from time to time, as will my wife. :/ It will also get moderate use as a music and video editing setup. If it was just me, though, I would tweek it a little more for gaming. As it is, I'll need it to be a powerful multi-tasker that can last me a while. I put together my current desktop almost 10 years ago and it's still running Windows 2000! I like to get my money's worth. ;)

I do like you're idea about the OS. I think I'll talk to a couple of friends before I purchase the software.

Thanks again.

Anyone else have any ideas or see anything worth changing?
  3. Probably not, but you could go to my link in the siggy and see if you like the 1200-1500 build. I think your build overall though is pretty sweet.
  4. aznshinobi said:
    Probably not, but you could go to my link in the siggy and see if you like the 1200-1500 build. I think your build overall though is pretty sweet.

Thanks shinobi. The build in your sig looks pretty similar to what I have except for a few minor things. I could probably make due with the 2500 but I do tend to run my systems for a while and figured I'd go ahead and get the 2600.

I want to make sure I have enough power though. Is the 750W going to be enough? What if I do decide to OC the 2600 later? I know I'd probably want to add better cooling to the CPU but will everything else I have support it?

Thanks.
  5. Yes it will be enough, but don't cheap out on a 750w psu. Make sure its good on the efficiency. Your Corsair seems fine so, yeah. Yes they will all support it, as for cooling, get the Hyper 212+ off my website in my siggy, it's an Amazon recommended product. Plus cheaper than newegg, free shipping and two fans come with it.

The Asrock Extreme4 would also be a good choice because it is cheaper but also for the fact that it can equally overclock to 5.1ghz (2500K) on air cooling. So just a suggestion to save a bit of money. I don't think your going to tri-SLI or tri-fire right?
  6. Hmm, yeah the 6 is about $40 more. No, I won't be doing any tri-SLI or tri-fire. Any other reason to get the 6? I see that there is an additional year of warranty and maybe more USB 3 ports. That's not worth $40 is it?

Also, you put 2500k and I'm planning to get the 2600k. Can the 4 support OC'ing the 2600k if I decide to do it later?

Thanks.
  7. Yes the 4 will OC the 2600K, I just used the 2500K as that's what I saw from the Newegg reviews.
  8. So no real reason for me to get the 6 then?
  9. Yeah no reason, but if you plan to link your computer to a server or do LAN party battles anything involving dual LAN ports, get the 6, but otherwise I find it meh to get one.
  10. dont forget thermal compound
  11. I'm not planning to get an additional heat sink right now. Do I still need it or doesn't the CPU come with some?
  12. CPU comes with on stock cooler
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product