vunsworth

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
Hello,
specs e8400 @3.0g, 520w psu, Asus p5ne-sil mobo, 3 x 1g pc 5300 mem, nvidia 9600 gt.
I was looking to fit a new ati 6850 card, would this set up run smoothly, or would there be problems? If so would another socket 775 board be the easier option

vunsworth

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010

Than you for your advice, but asked this question on the asus forum and this is the answer

Your Mother board uses a Nvidia chipset and works with SLI, Not Crossfire.
That ATI card might work ok but from past experience I have seen issues with Nvidia chipsets not working well with ATI cards.

A better choice in my opinion, would be a Nvidia GeForce GTX 460, which is comparable to the ATI card you name.
Also using a Nvidia card will give you the option to add another card in the future using SLI, you can't do that with the ATI cards on this board.

I am non the wiser?

vunsworth

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
Thanks for your advice!
I was concerned about the pci-e being only 1.0 on my mobo, and what sort of reductions in the performance would be. Compared to my GT 9600 and looking at the cards available the ati 6850 is about 200% rise in performance for around £140. I have no intention of fitting a second card. It was the mention of the "blue screen" that bothered me!
As long as the single card works fine, that's the job done!
Thanks again for your rapid response.

vunsworth

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010

Clean install of win 7, to get all nvidia drivers removed, noted that they tend to linger if not.
Got rid of a lot unwanted stuff that has been slowing down the computer too. Works wonderful!

The water in Far Cry (One) is absolutely clear and game play is so slick, It`s terrific!

Well pleased with this forum for the very quick response that is provided. It to is impressive.

Again thanks One happy, happy guy You put a smile on my face!