Sign in with
Your question

What do I need to upgrade my PC for the new WoW Cataclysm

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a c 235 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
November 25, 2010 12:58:27 PM

this question has been asked a lot and I see a ton of wrong answers. so I figured I would post some facts to help people out and blow up all the morons who post their incorrect opinions as facts.

I was told WoW relies heavily on the CPU and you don't need a powerful graphics card?
on low settings or in 2004-2006, that is true. Since then blizzard has kept tweaking the game engine. in 2008 they added shadows which at the highest settings can push any graphics card.

extShadowQuality 5 extreme setting - full dynamic shadows with high resolution shadow maps, drawn all the way to the horizon. Every non-terrain object you see, gets a dynamic shadow. Unplayable on older hardware and major resource hog on all tested configurations with framerate hovering around 20fps with high end video cards.

for more info
http://www.yougamers.com/articles/19960_shadows_of_the_...

I was told you need a quad core CPU to play WoW? Well you where told wrong. WoW wants two high performance cores and that usually means Intel. See the benchmark link below. It's a mix of high performance Intel CPUs leading the way. i7, i5-quads, i5-duals, a C2D @ 3.3ghz. then you reach a Phenom II x4 970 & x2 560 tied, next to the i3-duals. What brings in the rear of the benchmark? Well it's the low speed Phenom II x6 and Athlon II x3, x4. The faster Athlon II x2 beats them. This was the exact same set up StarCraft II had. Can you play the game on an AMD CPU? Absolutely. Will the phenom II x6 run the game better then an i5 dual core with its four extra cores? no. But I want a quad core CPU? get an i5-750/760 or OC a Phenom II X4.

WoW CPU benchmark
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/CPU/62
SC2 benchmark
http://www.techspot.com/review/305-starcraft2-performan...

what video card do I need? luckily techpower has been running benchmarks using the DX 11 patch and ultra settings. Just like Intel leads the way in CPU performance, Nvidia leads the way in GPU performance; once again like in the SC2. Does this mean you can't play with an AMD card? No, it will play just fine but an Nvidia at a similar price will give you an extra kick. benchmarks where taken in low populated zones using an Intel i7 3.8ghz test system. So take them with a grain of salt if you don't have that set up. Expect lower FPS in pvp, heavy populated cities and raids. Basically a GTS450 or ATI 5770 @ 1600x900 resolution will be fine with a good CPU. work your way up from that for higher resolution.

(the FPS does not line up with similar cards because of the different patches. this is more of a hierarchy chart for WoW)

More about : upgrade wow cataclysm

November 25, 2010 1:15:28 PM

WOW! (pun intended) This is (kinda) just what I was looking for, since the upgrade to my system is looking like the GTX460 1024M (and a power supply). The MSI OC GTX 460 should be a good fit for my PhenomII 910 x4- my search for info now is: how do I know if all 4 cores are unlocked (and do they need to be/how to do that?) And: how to safely OC the PhenomII 910 x4?? pointers appreciated, and thanks for the great thread!!
a c 189 U Graphics card
November 25, 2010 1:16:03 PM

Thank you so much for the info, ct1615. :) 
Related resources
a c 235 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
November 25, 2010 1:31:02 PM

DelverRootnose said:
WOW! (pun intended) This is (kinda) just what I was looking for, since the upgrade to my system is looking like the GTX460 1024M (and a power supply). The MSI OC GTX 460 should be a good fit for my PhenomII 910 x4- my search for info now is: how do I know if all 4 cores are unlocked (and do they need to be/how to do that?) And: how to safely OC the PhenomII 910 x4?? pointers appreciated, and thanks for the great thread!!

if you go into task manager/ performance. click on resource manager and then the CPU tab

your cores will be listed as 0, 1, 2, 3

youtube is full of videos on how to OC. most mass produced PCs (DELL, Acer, HP) lock out OC options in their BIOS
December 8, 2010 12:59:20 AM

THANK YOU, ct1615!! learnin more everyday!
a c 235 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
December 8, 2010 7:16:51 PM

that's what I'm here for...to teach...plus the free punch and cookies
!