X-Meridian 2G Worth It?

rainwilds

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2010
Hi all,

Is there a significant difference between an old X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro sound card and the new Auzentech X-Meridian 2G? Would it be worth the upgrade?

I use both speakers (Z5500) and headphones for gaming.

Also, is it true that if I SPDIF out to the Z5500 this would use the DAC of the speakers (amp) and not the sound card? If so, would it be best then to go analog out and let the X-Meridian do the work?

Thanks

Solution
Is there a significant difference between an old X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro sound card and the new Auzentech X-Meridian 2G? Would it be worth the upgrade?

Yes. The 2G is a significantly better card then the Extreme Gamer.

Also, is it true that if I SPDIF out to the Z5500 this would use the DAC of the speakers (amp) and not the sound card? If so, would it be best then to go analog out and let the X-Meridian do the work?

Yes and Yes. The soundcard has a better DAC then the Z5500's, so you'll get higher quality audio via analog.

Yes. The 2G is a significantly better card then the Extreme Gamer.

Yes and Yes. The soundcard has a better DAC then the Z5500's, so you'll get higher quality audio via analog.

Solution