Sign in with
Your question
Solved

2600K Coolers

Last response: in Systems
January 24, 2011 6:41:30 AM

OK Guys and Gals I am hearing that the 2600K overclocks to 4.6 ghz with the STOCK Intel cooler - which is amazing. Still I don't trust heat and CPUs and so I am considering an aftermarket cooler. the three I am considering are:

Titan Fenrir (the cheapest)
Noctua DH-14
Noctua NH-C14

The Titan Fenrir is sold on Amazon for $48.00 which seems like cheap insurance for overclocking peace of mind.

1) Do I really need a cooler? Remember peace of mind.
2) Which cooler do you guys and gals prefer - hopefully some of you own one or more of the above.

It is going in a Cooler Master HAF 942. Noise is important to me. I especially would like to hear from Titan Fenrir owners as to how quiet the cooler is.

Thanks

More about : 2600k coolers

a b B Homebuilt system
January 24, 2011 10:06:25 AM

Well, answer to question 1 is yes. I always go with a custom cooler over the stock one - even if I am not overclocking. This is because they are quieter, cooler (can never be too cool) and easier to fit on a mobo (I hate stock fan, always feels like I am going to snap the mobo trying to get it in)

Unfortunately I do not have personal experience with the above coolers as I am a Hyper212+ man - mainly due to its bargain price. But the ones you listed I have certainly seen recommended to people. Though Hyper212+ with an additional fan on it is pretty damned good (not needed it myself, as just one fan brings my idle temps on i5 750 to mid 20sC)
m
l

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
January 24, 2011 4:29:31 PM

The Titan Fenrir was *ok*, but it wasn't great. I switched to a Cooler Master Hyper 212+ and threw on the old fan from the Fenrir and now idle in the low 20s, never hit 50C unless at 100% load on all cores.

The biggest thing for me was that you could put another fan on it, as opposed to the Fenrir. Also, those little metal pieces that hold the fan onto the Fenrir broke on me (flimsy aluminum), so I had to tape my fan to the cooler for a few months before I got my new one.

It's ridiculously cheap for $27 + free shipping on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-RR-B10-212P-G1-Univ...

Don't let the price fool you. This is a great cooler.
Related resources
January 25, 2011 3:59:21 AM

boiler1990 said:
The Titan Fenrir was *ok*, but it wasn't great. I switched to a Cooler Master Hyper 212+ and threw on the old fan from the Fenrir and now idle in the low 20s, never hit 50C unless at 100% load on all cores.

The biggest thing for me was that you could put another fan on it, as opposed to the Fenrir. Also, those little metal pieces that hold the fan onto the Fenrir broke on me (flimsy aluminum), so I had to tape my fan to the cooler for a few months before I got my new one.

It's ridiculously cheap for $27 + free shipping on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-RR-B10-212P-G1-Univ...

Don't let the price fool you. This is a great cooler.

I have read some reviews and most say it is a great cooler, especially for the money, however, there are a lot of reviews that say it is noisy. How is the noise compared to the Fenrir which is only $20.00 more?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 25, 2011 11:26:45 AM

I never heard either one in my case. The real downside to the Fenrir is that it only supports one fan, and it will probably block one of your RAM slots (or get REALLY close to doing it).
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 25, 2011 11:47:22 AM

Certainly I do not hear the Hyper212+. To be honest if you aer running a PC with a GPU you are likely going to be hearing that before the Hyper, and even the case fans for that matter
m
l
January 25, 2011 12:05:53 PM

another +1 to 212 + i use one on my athlon II x4 and its quieter then the psu, so you don't even hear it

psu i use is a corsair tx850w
m
l
January 25, 2011 11:50:23 PM

Thanks guys, I think I am going to try the 212 hyper plus. A lot of people who own it have praised it in this forum on this thread and others. it appears to be virtually the equal of the Fenrir in different reviews that I have read. Bit Tech swears by the Fenrir but some people who have had it have said that they were not overwhelmed. It is also a good option that the 212 can add a second fan to improve performance even more. This would probably put it in the Noctua Nd-14 range. The Noctua is highly praised for its overall quality but it costs three times as much as the 212.

Thank you to everyone who has replied to my question.
m
l
January 25, 2011 11:51:17 PM

Best answer selected by flong.
m
l
!