Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Wich card I should choose?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
November 25, 2010 2:34:12 PM

So, I will update my system after xmas when I get some money. The problem is, I don't know wich card I should buy. My budget is 450€ (~600$) and about 80€ (~110$) goes for Cooler Master GX 650W PSU. :)  So I use 370€ (~500$) for new graphics card. :)  I listes some cards here:

MSI GTX470 Twin Frozr II
MSI HD5850 Twin Frozr II
Sapphire HD6870 (The non-refrence version, better cooler)

Wich of these is best? For overclocking and gaming. :)  You can tell another graphic card that is better than those too. :D 
Sorry for bad english, I am from Finland. :D 

PS: This is my first post on this forum. :) 

More about : wich card choose

a b U Graphics card
November 25, 2010 2:44:25 PM

Welcome to the forum! I hope you enjoy your time here and there are many great and knowledgeable people here who will help you out.

The numbers on the 6870 are very impressive, however it is SLIGHTLY out-performed by the GTX 470. The 470 runs very hot and consumes a lot of power, so that is something to be aware of regarding your case and PSU. They're all great cards, but I'd go for the 6870 for cooler running and more over-clockability.
November 25, 2010 3:31:18 PM

plastichairball said:
Welcome to the forum! I hope you enjoy your time here and there are many great and knowledgeable people here who will help you out.

The numbers on the 6870 are very impressive, however it is SLIGHTLY out-performed by the GTX 470. The 470 runs very hot and consumes a lot of power, so that is something to be aware of regarding your case and PSU. They're all great cards, but I'd go for the 6870 for cooler running and more over-clockability.

Okay, so 6470 is cooler and more overclockable, but the 470 is faster? How close can OC:D  6470 come OC:D  470? :D  But the Twin Frozr II cooler on 470 is 16℃ cooler than normal. ;)  Hard to select.. But how about a refrence 470 with Arctic Cooling Accelero Xtreme Plus-cooler? It has 3 fans and 5 heatpipes. :D  Here is an picture of it:
Related resources
November 25, 2010 3:35:07 PM

Whoops.. OC:D  means overclocked, but it puts some emocotions to it.. :D  And sorry about doublepost. I am "not allowed to edit posts". :p 
a b U Graphics card
November 26, 2010 12:40:23 PM

Well, if you are going for raw power and you're getting the best cooled 470 you can get I see no reason to not favour it over the 6870. The 470 would be better from a raw horsepower perspective.

If I were in your position though, I'd consider waiting just a little bit longer if that's an option. Nvidia will soon out more of its 5XX series, and of course ATI has the rest of its 6XXX series up its sleeves. Both will be serious performers by all indications, and will perhaps run even better with more OC headroom.
November 26, 2010 3:01:35 PM

plastichairball said:
Well, if you are going for raw power and you're getting the best cooled 470 you can get I see no reason to not favour it over the 6870. The 470 would be better from a raw horsepower perspective.

If I were in your position though, I'd consider waiting just a little bit longer if that's an option. Nvidia will soon out more of its 5XX series, and of course ATI has the rest of its 6XXX series up its sleeves. Both will be serious performers by all indications, and will perhaps run even better with more OC headroom.

Okay. :)  Well, I was thinking to buy card after xmas, so if the 69xx series and the 570 will be released before xmas, I will buy the better card that fits my budget. :) 
November 26, 2010 3:13:07 PM

If you are not going for a dual setup better take the 470..ATI has better crossfiring abilities..
November 26, 2010 5:28:01 PM

I found an Sapphire 5870 Vapor-X for 299€ (~400$). 60€ (~80$) cheaper than in other stores. :o  Maybe buy that? Will it overclock well?
December 1, 2010 7:28:50 PM

Do anyone have any experience with KFA2's GTX460? I found an SLI-pack for 380€ and that is ALOT cheaper than GTX580. And GTX460 SLI is little bit faster than 580. ;)  Those KFA2 versions look a bit cheap quality compared to Asus, XFX or EVGA.. :D  But maybe it's the look that's cheap. :na:  But yeah, tell me your experience of these cards. And if those are good enough, I'll buy those. :)  There is an link to the card: http://www.kfa2.com/gtx460oc1024sli.html

PS: The box says "3D SLI pack". Does that mean there comes 3D glasses too? :) 
December 1, 2010 7:28:56 PM

Do anyone have any experience with KFA2's GTX460? I found an SLI-pack for 380€ and that is ALOT cheaper than GTX580. And GTX460 SLI is little bit faster than 580. ;)  Those KFA2 versions look a bit cheap quality compared to Asus, XFX or EVGA.. :D  But maybe it's the look that's cheap. :na:  But yeah, tell me your experience of these cards. And if those are good enough, I'll buy those. :)  There is an link to the card: http://www.kfa2.com/gtx460oc1024sli.html

PS: The box says "3D SLI pack". Does that mean there comes 3D glasses too? :) 
December 2, 2010 11:32:57 AM

17seconds said:
A review of the KFA2 GTX460:
http://www.guru3d.com/article/kfa2-geforce-gtx-460-1024...
The cooler is a bit noisy.

The MSI GTX470 Twin Frozr II is a fine card.

Oh, okay. My headset is broken and I use stereos, so the noise will be a problem.. The TwinFrozr II is a little expensive, two of those goes over my budget. Two Asus DirectCu's are even cheaper than that KFA2 SLI-pack. But I have AMD Phenom x3 and I heard my CPU could be too slow to max out 2 GTX460? But if my CPU is too slow, I must then buy 1 card?.. :( 
a b U Graphics card
December 2, 2010 11:43:07 AM

You can buy one card if you like....save the difference and put it towards a new CPU and then later get the second GPU! You won't be disappointed even with a single 460 though, or go for the 470 for even more power.
December 2, 2010 11:58:59 AM

plastichairball said:
You can buy one card if you like....save the difference and put it towards a new CPU and then later get the second GPU! You won't be disappointed even with a single 460 though, or go for the 470 for even more power.

Or 570 when it comes. :D 
a b U Graphics card
December 2, 2010 12:00:09 PM

thenikiz said:
Or 570 when it comes. :D 


Hah! Or the 670 when THAT comes?
a c 595 U Graphics card
December 2, 2010 4:01:49 PM

thenikiz said:
Oh, okay. My headset is broken and I use stereos, so the noise will be a problem.. The TwinFrozr II is a little expensive, two of those goes over my budget. Two Asus DirectCu's are even cheaper than that KFA2 SLI-pack. But I have AMD Phenom x3 and I heard my CPU could be too slow to max out 2 GTX460? But if my CPU is too slow, I must then buy 1 card?.. :( 

In order to run 2 Nvidia cards in SLI, you first need to make sure your motherboard is SLI capable. The fact that you are running an AMD processor makes me question whether you are able to run SLI. Just because you have multiple PCIe slots does not mean you can run SLI. Your specs need to specifically state that the board is SLI capable.

All the same, with one GTX460, you will be rocking the majority of your games with maxed out visuals and PhysX.
!