Sign in with
Your question

Building a budget system around an i7 950

Last response: in Systems
January 24, 2011 7:38:31 AM

Sorry, complete novice with regard to system building. Please contain any laughter my questions beg.

I have an i7 950 processor I need to build a system around.
I'm not looking to spend a bundle on it. I'd like to keep a certain amount of flexibility as to its future uses: maybe some light gaming, video playback etc.. Other than the processor, I have not purchased any other component yet.
My digging so far yielded the following:

Case: Antec Three Hundred
Motherboard: the cheapest socket 1366 board by either Asus or Gigabyte.
Graphics card: Ati Radeon HD4650 slim (more expensive) or full profile bracket.
Memory: 4 GB
HDD: some 500 GB drive.
DVD RW.
PSU: undecided.

My questions:
1. Can I install a full profile card in the Antec, what are the disadvantages and why does the slim profile cost more?
2. How much power will I need to, er, power this system?
3. Any other advice on components which will not send me on another spiral of confusion and uncertainty...

Thanks,
Guy
January 24, 2011 7:48:41 AM

The Is it possible for you to return the 950? Or is that a problem?

With SB out that should be what you want to build around. And to answer your questions.

1. No a full profile will fit in the Antec, low profile is mainly for things like workstations etc. Micro ATX cases.
2. Looking at about 400-500 watts. W/o overclocking
3. Well if you can return in, get the i5 2500K, cheaper and faster. With your thought of light gaming turn to the 4830 for 60$ @ Newegg. Look into my siggy for builds.

It looks like you don't exactly need a crazy expensive build, you could look at the 450$ build I just posted on my website. It's in my siggy. If you can return that 950, you'll probably save some cash doing the 450$ build on my site.
m
l
January 24, 2011 8:08:29 AM

SB out.
I'll check your suggested site.
Thanks.
m
l
January 24, 2011 3:11:26 PM

Gaaronsohn said:

Case: Antec Three Hundred
Motherboard: the cheapest socket 1366 board by either Asus or Gigabyte.
Graphics card: Ati Radeon HD4650 slim (more expensive) or full profile bracket.
Memory: 4 GB
HDD: some 500 GB drive.
DVD RW.
PSU: undecided.

My questions:
1. Can I install a full profile card in the Antec, what are the disadvantages and why does the slim profile cost more?
2. How much power will I need to, er, power this system?
3. Any other advice on components which will not send me on another spiral of confusion and uncertainty...

Thanks,
Guy

1. the slim profile card is simply a re-designed card to fit in a low-profile(narrrower) case. electrically and performance wise, it is exactly the same as a full profile card.
2. a good 400-500w PSU should be all you would need. I recommend something from Corsair, Seasonic, AntecEarthwatts, PCP&C, OCZ look for Active Power correction, and 80+ certification.
3. The Samsung spinpoint F3 1TB drive is not that much more expensive than a 500GB drive, like getting twice the storage for only about $20 more. :D 

m
l
!