Sign in with
Your question

Is it my monitor or graphics card?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 25, 2010 3:36:20 PM

Had this 20 inch Viewsonic for about 4 years and just started having problems. Have two monitors hooked up, the 20 inch and my 32 LCD TV. Came home the other day and the picture didn't come up on either monitor. When I unplugged the DVI cable for the 32 inch, the picture wouldn't come up on the monitor...the only way I would get a signal is when the monitor is unplugged...if both cables are plugged in, the monitor buzzes for a second and the power light flashes, no picture. If it is just the 32 inch plugged in, it works but I can't configure the other monitor without it being hooked up, in which I get no picture.

I tested this on my brothers computer, when both monitors are hooked up, mine will show the windows logo and the bios screen, but when it actually starts to load the OS, it flashes again and it goes to the other monitor...once again, I cannot configure it, even when it is plugged into his computer.

Does it sound like it is basically fried?

UPDATE: I unplugged both and hooked up the 20 inch and it worked for a little bit, then when I went to plug in the 32 inch and had them both activated (cloned) it worked. However, when I went to disable the 32 inch and make the monitor the primary monitor it gave out. Could it be the graphics card can't handle both of them? (I have an ATI 1GB 4870 that has given me no problems) The flickering in the monitor tells me that something has gone wrong on that end. It seems the only way it works is when only one cable is plugged into the graphics card.

More about : monitor graphics card

a c 217 U Graphics card
a c 135 C Monitor
November 25, 2010 3:51:27 PM

It sounds more like the monitor is going bad. You wouldn't happen to be able to borough another monitor to make sure, would you?
m
l
November 25, 2010 3:53:13 PM

I figured that I am going to have my cousin bring over his today and test it out.

Right now, I have the 32 inch unplugged and the 20 inch works perfectly so I am not sure why it would cause it to show no picture when they are both plugged in. Isn't that more of a graphics problem then a monitor problem?
m
l
Related resources
a c 217 U Graphics card
a c 135 C Monitor
November 25, 2010 3:56:52 PM

Sometimes they can be intermittent when it starts to go bad. But it is possible it's the card still or windows.
m
l
November 25, 2010 3:59:38 PM

So If I check with the other monitor and it works fine then it is the card I would presume.
m
l
a c 217 U Graphics card
a c 135 C Monitor
November 25, 2010 4:02:51 PM

If you try it with the other monitor and there is no problem, then I would think that may mean your monitor may be going out. Make sure to use the other monitor along with your TV.
m
l
November 25, 2010 4:11:07 PM

Will do, thanks a lot I will post later on.
m
l
November 26, 2010 8:43:04 PM

Update: My dad's monitor worked and then when I plugged my monitor back in, it worked perfectly...I am really confused.

Same thing today, when I hooked up my new case (CM-SCOUT) it didn't work at first...tested my brother's monitor and it worked...plugged mine back in and it showed.

I am confused beyond belief.
m
l
a c 217 U Graphics card
a c 135 C Monitor
November 26, 2010 8:44:39 PM

It sounds like your monitor is on it's last leg. When they get old, they often go through a phase of intermittent problems. You'll likely just have to replace it eventually.
m
l
November 26, 2010 8:51:43 PM

Hmmm....both the GTX 460 is on sale along with a 23'' inch Samsung I saw today. Now I have to decide.
m
l
November 26, 2010 9:45:57 PM

The ASUS by a long shot is better than the Samsung, 20,000:1 is nice whereas the Samsung has 1000:1. Also the 2MS response is faster than the Samsung, which you noticed. I'd go for the ASUS.

Also, just so you know, I have a Gateway 21in that they don't make anymore. It loves to not wake after being on for a few days. I unplug it and replug it in after about 10 seconds and it boots up fine. I assume that alot of the time it's just a powersurge, and that's it's way of protecting its self.
m
l
!