Need help.. Intel i7 950 or a Intel i7 2600k

Status
Not open for further replies.

himanshuas2711

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2011
Helo Guys.. well i am here to clearify myself .. please help me choose between the two processors
INTel core i7 950 Bloomfield or a Intel i7 2600k Sandybridge..

I know that a 2600k is speed demon and a way ahead 950 ... but what i am looking for is the stability at maximum oc
i earlier had reviewed these two processors on various sites and the result was same declaring i7 2600k to be faster than i7 950. So i think i am clear here in terms of speed ..
but the thing that went negative was that the users were dissappointed for the stability issues ... .. most often i saw a 1366/x58(CPU socket/MOBO) more stable than a 1155/P67(CPU socket/MOBO) and see now i am here to take your advice...

which one would you guys go with....

well my expected config with both the chipsets is...

LGA 1366( i7 950)

Mobo - Asus Sabertooth x58
CPU - Intel i7 950
RAM - According to compatibility, most probably Corsair(TR3X6G1600C8D) or (CMP6GX3M3A1600C8)

LGA 1155( i7 2600k)

Mobo - Gigabyte P67a-ud4 b3
CPU - Intel i7 2600k
RAM - Accordingly :D

So guys suggest me the best combo for my gaming rig ... :D

Solution

As I said before, get the 2600K unless you're looking to save cash. You could always turn off hyperthreading - if you ever felt so inclined - to make it similar to a 2500K with a little more speed. Many newer games, such as Battlefield Bad Company 2, will take advantage of the additional processing threads and will use all 8 threads when you have hyperthreading on. If you're going to run Duke Nuke'em or other older games...

For sure... Get the 2600K unless you're strapped for cash. You're getting a 17% increase in speed out of that CPU (turbo) over the 950.

The stability I'd say is more to do with luck of the draw and OC experience. These Sandy Britches OC in the 4GHz's with no problem. It doesn't really seem like you're too concerned with cash so you're not going to be one of those dudes trying to push 5GHz on their stripped-down biostar micro ATX board with a stock cooler. Those are the people complaining of stability issues.

Everywhere you look you can read an article about how well the 2600ks OC.

The i5 2500k is the best gaming CPU currently available for the price.. The only features extra with the 2600k are HT (useless for gaming) and an extra 2 MB cache (doesn't gives any noteworthy improvements).. As for overclocking, these chips are plain awesome.. You can easily reach 4+ GHz and maintain them stable given you have the right components.. The instability issues might have happened with the earlief motherboards which had a chipset bug.. Currently all available motherboards come with the B3 revision wherein that issue has been resolved..

The Gigabyte P67a-ud4 b3 you listed above is a great choice. It'll let you run two of your favorite video cards in SLI or crossfire at 8x/8x or one at 16x. Grab two 570s or 580s with the 2600k and you'll have a rocking mulit-purpose/gaming machine.

If it's a gaming rig, the 2500K will smoke the i7-950. Anybody can get 4.4ghz in seconds. Some get 4.8ghz+

Unless you have 2 or more high end video cards, there's no point in overclocking your cpu at all for gaming unless you like heat and high electric bills.

himanshuas2711

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2011
okay then .. i am now having two choices for Processors i5 2500k and i7 2600k

Just hit one to choose ... it must be a better one :D

and as said Gigabyte UD4 B3 is good but still therz something itching me ... so please give some more options for motherboard.. :D

and thank you all ... in advance :D :)

oc_mania

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011

As I said before, get the 2600K unless you're looking to save cash. You could always turn off hyperthreading - if you ever felt so inclined - to make it similar to a 2500K with a little more speed. Many newer games, such as Battlefield Bad Company 2, will take advantage of the additional processing threads and will use all 8 threads when you have hyperthreading on. If you're going to run Duke Nuke'em or other older games using fewer threads 24/7, go with a 2500K or just shut off hyperthreading on your 2600K when necessary. Additionally, the 2600K will definitely offer more flexibility on the machine from a video/audio processing and productivity standpoint. The only reason you'd go for a 2500K is if you wanted to save cash.

As far as motherboards... Asus also provides a similar board in the P8P67 Pro. They both have just about the same features, but the Asus has integrated bluetooth functionality. Both boards run around the same price.

Solution
Imagine asking a question "Should I get a Porsche 2 seater or an SUV ? If you live in Maine w/ the proverbial 2.3 kids and a dog, I'd say the SUV. If you're a single guy living in Florida, I'd say get the 2 seater. In other words, w/o knowing what you gonna do with it, the answer may be inappropriate.

Doing movie editing, large spreadsheets / databases, 3D rendering etc, or planning a gaming rig w/ tri or quad SLI .... I'd say the 9xx.

Doing gaming and most other tasks not listed above or gaming w/ up to 2 cards in SLI / CF and maybe a dedicated PhysX card, I'd get a 2xxxk. If ya doing anything besides gaming, and doing other things that benefit from HT, or looking for the absolute highest OC's, I'd get the 2600k, otherwise the 2500k.

Status
Not open for further replies.