$650 Build Advice

Hey all,

After switching to a G51JX-X2 laptop for a while and then deciding I missed having a desktop I’ve decided to sell it and start a new build. It’s been a while since I built a machine, though, so I figured I would ask for some help. Here’s what I have so far:

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K – $180
Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 2 x 4GB (PC3 10666) – $85
Motherboard: ASRock P67 PRO3 LGA 1155 Intel P67 – $124
Case: Xigmatek ASGARD II B/O CPC-T45UE-U01 – $30
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 460 TwinFrozr Super OverClocked Video Card (256 bit 768MB) – $150
PSU: DiabloTek PHD550 550-Watt Power Supply – $40

I already have a hard drive (1x 250GB Seagate + 1x 750GB WD), an optical drive (Asus DVD RW), and a monitor (Dell 2408WFP), so I won’t be needing those.

After shipping and taxes, the price comes to $647, $622 if I get the rebate on the video card. I don’t plan to do much gaming, mostly I will be using Photoshop, Premiere Pro, and After Effects… occasionally Blender. I might occasionally play MW2, but the next game I actually plan on buying is probably Portal 2; by then I’ll probably have money to buy a better video card.

Anyway, I’d rather not stray from my price point; I’m kind of on a budget. If anyone has better ideas for that price, though, I’d love to hear them.

One question I do have is: Will I be able to do at least some overclocking with the stock cooler? I plan to eventually buy a 3rd party cooler, but I’m hoping to maybe bump the speed up to like 4.2ghz in the mean-time.

Thanks in advance!
7 answers Last reply
More about build advice
  1. I'm sure the stock cooler will be able to handle a few hundred MHz of OC....

I think the GTX460 (might want to wait on the GTX560, due out within a few days according to rumors) is a solid choice for light/occasional gaming at 1920x1080
  2. Thanks for the input. I’ll keep an eye out for the 560’s but what I’m reading seems to indicate it will be about $80 outside my price-range. Maybe it’ll come out and lower the prices on the old ones a little, though.

Thanks again. The stock cooler input is very reassuring.
  3. If it can't handle the OC, the Cooler Master Hyper 212+ is a great air cooler; from what I hear, 4 GHz is easily achievable. It's only $27 + free shipping at Amazon:

I've done stress tests on my CPU, and it maxes out at 50C.
  4. I wouldn't trust that power supply though it has got good reviews.
    If you get this board
    (its currently out of stock) you could add another 460 later instead of having to sell one to upgrade. Also its always worth getting the 1Gb version for a few $s more.
    Also +1 to getting the 212+
  5. where are you finding the i5 2500k for $180? is that usd? the cheapest i found it was on newegg for $225 usd.
  6. seller417 said:
    where are you finding the i5 2500k for $180? is that usd? the cheapest i found it was on newegg for $225 usd.

His link is a microcenter link (wasn't working, but that was the address).

That is one of the best places to get CPUs if you live near one; got my i7-930 for $200 instead of $300.
  7. I was a little nervous about the power supply. Does this Antec look better?

I’ll definitely look into getting that cooler when the time comes; thanks for the link.

I am willing to either upgrade to an SLI motherboard or upgrade to the 1GB 460, but I really can’t afford/justify doing both. Which one would you guys recommend most?

The Microcenter link is now fixed, sorry for the confusion.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems Product