Sign in with
Your question

ASUS P5Q-PRO Memory Problems

Last response: in Memory
December 27, 2011 2:57:14 PM

Hi, i have a problem with my motherboard and or RAM, I have the ASUS P5Q-PRO as the title suggests and i have 2x2gb of some random cheap RAM Installed, the RAM that is installed isnt the problem, my problem is that i have 2 sticks of different RAM lying here, these RAM Sticks are not the same brand and model, as the 2 sticks i have in now and these 2 sticks that i don't have in are different from each other aswell, when i have the sticks that are installed now the system works fine just now, but if i install either of the 2 sticks i have lying around in slot 3 or 4 on my motherboard i get blue screens after 5-30 Minutes of gameplay, the more intensive the game the quicker it happens, this also happens with Sony Vegas Pro 9.

I don't know if my motherboard is at fault here or if my RAM sticks are at fault, here are my system specs and parts.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 2.5Ghz @ 2Ghz
4GB DDR2 667Mhz RAM @ 400Mhz
XFX Radeon HD 5770 1GB 850Mhz GPU Clock
1 IDE 80GB Hard Drive (C:) 
1 SATA II 240GB Hard Drive (E:) 
430w PSU (Came with my Antec NSK Case)

I also don't know if my PSU could be the fault here as it might not have the power to run more RAM but i went through a wattage calculator from thermaltake and it said under 90% Load it would be using 292W of power, that seemed a bit weird as i was always paranoid that if i put my Graphics card from 400Mhz (Underclocked by the guy i bought it off for some reason) To the cards original 850Mhz GPU clock that my system wouldn't boot i put it back to 850Mhz last night and it seems to have worked fine.

Any support would be handy.

thanks.
a c 80 } Memory
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 229 V Motherboard
December 28, 2011 12:32:32 AM

Check and report on the specs for all modules with CPU-Z, SPD tab. You can't expect DDR2 667 MHz to be stable at 400 MHz. Are they stable at 333 MHz?
December 28, 2011 10:36:30 AM

Hey!, I managed to fix it turned out it was the other 2 RAM sticks that were faulty, i just went out and bought 8GB (2GBx4) Kit and now everything is working fine!, Thanks for replying!
!