Sign in with
Your question

Motherboard replacement

Last response: in Motherboards
December 27, 2011 3:42:31 PM

Hello,
I have replaced a defective MOBO in my Acer Aspire m1100 with an ASrock board, and now I'm assuming that I can't access Windows Vista OEM. The computer recognizes all of the hardware, but can't get past the initial ASrock screen. Is there any way that I can access this OS anymore.?
a c 435 V Motherboard
December 27, 2011 4:10:02 PM

No. Your acer probably came with a small bios code that tells windows that your board is geniune acer. Just one of the reasons not to upgrade oem systems. Check craigslist for an unopened copy of windows or call microsoft for more options.
m
l
December 27, 2011 5:39:33 PM

o1die said:
No. Your acer probably came with a small bios code that tells windows that your board is geniune acer. Just one of the reasons not to upgrade oem systems. Check craigslist for an unopened copy of windows or call microsoft for more options.

This is the screen I get when I fire up the computer, but even if I go in and tell it to boot from a USB, it won't go any further. If I have a copy of Vista on my USB stick, how do I get it to load from there?
m
l
Related resources
a c 435 V Motherboard
December 27, 2011 6:47:00 PM

I would disconnect your hardrives and try the usb stick alone; also disable the "asrock" logo at the post screen and see where your system is locking up. You'll have to find that adjustment in the bios yourself. If your usb windows copy (or backup) was made with the acer board, chances are you'll get a message such as: "this motherboard does not work with this version of windows" or similar message when windows trys to load. Good luck.
m
l
December 28, 2011 3:05:32 PM

I did as you said and disconnected the HDD and CD Rom, and told it to boot from the USB stick, but the best I get is lights on the stick and the same screen that I can't seem to get rid of. I'm guessing this should not be this difficult, but it's frustrating me to no end.
I'm going to post some screenshots, can you tell me if you see anything odd? Thanks, Rick.

m
l
a c 435 V Motherboard
December 28, 2011 4:23:44 PM

Those messages simply mean it's time for a fresh windows installation with the windows dvd. You'll need to format the hardrive when you install windows. Your usb windows won't work if it was made with the acer board. At the post screen, you simply follow the directions to enter the bios, and save and exit, with the dvd set as the first boot device. Use only one hardrive at a time; you can add others if you have more than one later, and windows will set it up as a secondary device.
m
l
December 29, 2011 3:58:08 AM

Thanks for the help, so far we have gotten it to load a Windows disc and are going through the repair procedure. We haven't had to format yet, but there appears to be some errors that it can't yet repair. I'll continue tomorrow and let you know how it goes, thanks again.
m
l
December 29, 2011 5:35:14 AM

Same problem i have faced some times ago. But those time i have to installed my all drivers. After re installing the drivers i access all functions in PC. But your situation is different you have to re install your window or your p3 motherboard.

Best computer science engineering College in Punjab
m
l
January 1, 2012 3:02:58 PM

Ok thanks for the help everybody, it's running as of now with a clean install of Vista, albeit with a few little issues. I have a "no sleep" issue and an occasional lock up, but I'll see where I get, thanks again.
m
l
January 2, 2012 9:59:35 PM

need to know if i can use this mobo for now and will it lag on farmville and browsing.
asrock ge prom2
m
l
a c 435 V Motherboard
January 2, 2012 10:29:32 PM

Ah, the farmville poster. I answered your question in another post.
m
l
!