New build Reccommendations

brandoshido

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
I am thinking about buying this computer. I am planning on pulling out my 9600gt from my old pc and putting in here. I plan to use this mainly as a HTPC (720, 1080p MKV's on Boxee/VLC), and to play Emulators (Dolphin mainy, maybe some pcsx2) on. I have it hooked up to my 55" 1080p HDTV via HDMI/DVI, Toslink for 5.1 sound to my audio receiver. I have a creative sound card for this in my old pc. I would appreciate any advice/suggestions.
I am able to get employee pricing on some things from Best Buy, so this system isn't something i'm dead set on. My price range is about 700 tops. Also, if i buy something like this kit, does it usually come with the hardware needed to put it together? Thanks for any and all help.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7192182&CatId=31

Solution
That's completely overkill for an HTPC. The i7-2600K is a processing beast. There is no reason to be buying something that expensive to just play videos.

Instead, look at something more like this, which is also overkill for an HTPC, but less so:

CPU: i5-2500 $210
Mobo: ASRock H67M $89
RAM: G.Skill 2x2 GB1600 mhz CAS Latency 9 $48
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB $65 (shop around, I know it's cheaper on Amazon)
PSU: Antec Earthwatts 430W $45
Case: Pick out a case you like the looks of. I'd get something small so it doesn't stand out in the living room. Don't spend more than $100 here, though $50 would be more reasonable. This is the best rated mini-tower on Newegg: Apex TX-381-C for...
That's completely overkill for an HTPC. The i7-2600K is a processing beast. There is no reason to be buying something that expensive to just play videos.

Instead, look at something more like this, which is also overkill for an HTPC, but less so:

CPU: i5-2500 $210
Mobo: ASRock H67M $89
RAM: G.Skill 2x2 GB1600 mhz CAS Latency 9 $48
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB $65 (shop around, I know it's cheaper on Amazon)
PSU: Antec Earthwatts 430W $45
Case: Pick out a case you like the looks of. I'd get something small so it doesn't stand out in the living room. Don't spend more than $100 here, though $50 would be more reasonable. This is the best rated mini-tower on Newegg: Apex TX-381-C for $25. If you want something with some lights, check out the Rosewill Challenger ($55), Rosewill Destroyer ($50 with $5 shipping) or Antec 300 Illusion ($70).

Total: $557 with a $100 case. The cheaper the case, the cheaper the build.

Solution

brandoshido

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011

Thanks for the quick reply.

I think it'll be a 50/50 split between htpc and gaming on the cpu heavy emulators. Thats why i was thinking i5-2500k or the i7-2600k. As far as the case goes, i kinda want it to be bigger in case i decide to upgrade in the future. I had a sff pc, and i hated trying to seat a new gpu in it.
Are these hard to put together?

Building is going to be easy.

If you're dead set on putting the old GPU in the build (and you shouldn't be), I'd switch the CPU to the "K" version and the board to a P67 (the ASRock P67 Extreme4 is a great one). It's just that the H67 doesn't let you overclock, so getting the unlocked version is a waste of money if you're using the integrated graphics.

I'd personally want a GPU in the build if you're doing any gaming at all. With $150 ($120ish after the "K" and P67 upgrade), I'd throw in an HD 5770. It's a good balance between cheap, power efficient and power.

brandoshido

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011

Good points, thanks. So essentially, I'd be back at the original configuration from TD. I am open to getting a gpu later down the line if i find that I want to play more games, or if its cheap enough with best buy employee discount to just go ahead and grab.