Insert Boot media Error on Asus M4A78 Pro Motherboard

chaomaster

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
I have an annoying problem.

I have my rig, that I built from scratch, but I recycled alot of old parts from my old crappy system. The main thing that is plaguing me is the old hard drive. The system won't boot without it, and I come up with a Insert Boot media error. I want install windows 7 on a hard drive that is not the old one, as I bought all new ones to install windows on. Problem is, the moment that drives out, I can't do anything. It's listed as the master boot list in the Disk manager on windows, so I think thats whats causing it. All the other drives are getting where to boot from. Is there any way I can change the tag of the other hard drives to the master boot list so I can recycle my old one?

System Stats
8 GB Ddr2
Asus M4A78 Pro Motherboard
AMD X4 Black edition
ATI Radeon 5850 HD

PS: I read the other topics on this and they did not help

chaomaster

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
I figured as much. Ill put it back in and set it back up as the boot device. Will I have to change something on the actual OS to set the one I want as the boot hard drive? I know there are status tags on the drives in the disk manager, labelled as boot, so I assume thats where I'd need to do something

Not sure what you are trying to do or have already done. If trying to install the OS, unplug the other hard drives during the procedure and plug in ony the drive you are loading the OS on. If the OS is already installed and BIOS is coming with 'insert boot media' be sure the hard drive with the OS is listed as a boot device in system BIOS.

Note The computer must be configured to start from the DVD drive. For information about how to configure the computer to start from the DVD drive, see the documentation that is included with the computer. Or, contact the computer manufacturer.

To perform a clean installation of Windows 7 by starting the computer from the Windows 7 DVD, follow these steps:

Start the computer.
Insert the Windows Vista DVD into the DVD drive and then close the drive tray.
Restart the computer.
When you receive the "Press any key to boot from CD" message, press a key.
Follow the instructions to install Windows 7.
If Windows 7 is now running on your computer, you have completed the installation successfully.

If the installation does not finish or you receive an error message, and you are comfortable trying to troubleshoot the problem, go to the "Troubleshooting" section. If you are not comfortable trying to troubleshoot the issue, go to the “Next Steps” section.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918884