Sign in with
Your question

General question regarding actual building process

Last response: in Systems
January 24, 2011 7:21:07 PM

I'm considering of building my first ever system and I found a deal at tigerdirect which is an i5-2500k kit for about $600-$640 CAD after taxes.
So I go to their store the other day and the sales asks me have I ever built a computer before and I say no.
The sales person goes onto say how it is possible to fry your motherboard by inducing a charge while putting together the system.
I've read a few guides on putting together computers, how to ground oneself and use anti-static gloves etc.
So I am wondering how great are the chances that I will fry one of my components considering the fact that it is going to be my first build?
Should I hold back on building my first system and buy a prebuilt from Dell or HP?
Thanks for taking the time to read!
January 24, 2011 7:27:06 PM

nubsauce101 said:
I'm considering of building my first ever system and I found a deal at tigerdirect which is an i5-2500k kit for about $600-$640 CAD after taxes.
So I go to their store the other day and the sales asks me have I ever built a computer before and I say no.
The sales person goes onto say how it is possible to fry your motherboard by inducing a charge while putting together the system.
I've read a few guides on putting together computers, how to ground oneself and use anti-static gloves etc.
So I am wondering how great are the chances that I will fry one of my components considering the fact that it is going to be my first build?
Should I hold back on building my first system and buy a prebuilt from Dell or HP?
Thanks for taking the time to read!

Do it. There are several guides around on these forums as stickies to read for details.

I and many others here have been building computers for years without static straps, bonding cables, or special gloves. I remember building Pentium 90's and 120's on carpet. I've never had a board compromised ever. Now, when I was handling a $3000 vector graphics board for a SGI, yes I had a bonding strap; mostly because I couldn't afford to replace it and my employer demanded it.

Building your own its great for the $/performance. Do it and feel accomplished!
January 24, 2011 7:28:39 PM

If you don't ground yourself every time you go to touch a part or don't use some kind of anti-static protection, it's somewhat common. It's common enough that every single building guide I know of always starts with a warning about it and instructions on how to ground yourself. I don't see the point of the anti-static gear. Touching the case or other suggested methods work and are free.

I'm willing to bet that the salesperson was just trying to upsell you to a prebuilt. Or just didn't want to actualy be helpful.

No one here is going to suggest you look at a prebuilt. As long as you've read some guides and follow their advice, you'll be fine. You should definitely make a post about what you're considering. Look at the guidelines from the link in my signature. I'm sure someone here can recommend a better build, as big combos are rarely actualy good deals.

EDIT: DO NOT BUILD ON CARPET. NO EXCEPTIONS. The chances of actually frying a part is normally low, but if you build on a static generating surface like carpet, the odds skyrocket. The two hard and fast rules you should always follow: never work with a computer on carpet and never work on a computer near a pet.
Related resources
January 24, 2011 7:46:02 PM

MadAdmiral said:
If you don't ground yourself every time you go to touch a part or don't use some kind of anti-static protection, it's somewhat common. It's common enough that every single building guide I know of always starts with a warning about it and instructions on how to ground yourself. I don't see the point of the anti-static gear. Touching the case or other suggested methods work and are free.

I'm willing to bet that the salesperson was just trying to upsell you to a prebuilt. Or just didn't want to actualy be helpful.

No one here is going to suggest you look at a prebuilt. As long as you've read some guides and follow their advice, you'll be fine. You should definitely make a post about what you're considering. Look at the guidelines from the link in my signature. I'm sure someone here can recommend a better build, as big combos are rarely actualy good deals.

EDIT: DO NOT BUILD ON CARPET. NO EXCEPTIONS. The chances of actually frying a part is normally low, but if you build on a static generating surface like carpet, the odds skyrocket. The two hard and fast rules you should always follow: never work with a computer on carpet and never work on a computer near a pet.

I have cross checked the prices for each compenent with other sites such as newegg.ca, ncix.com and canadacomputers.com so I'm pretty happy with the pricing of the kit ( http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item...).

On topic: Another thing I was worrying about is humidity levels. I live in an apartment so if I were to build within the next few days my place would be very hot and humidity would be around 20%-40%. Is that a cause for concern?
Also I've read the guide in the sticky of this forum section and I can't seem to find any other guides. So if someone was to be so kind as to direct towards some other guides, I would be grateful.
January 24, 2011 8:12:45 PM

I don't believe humidity will really matter. Just build it in a dry location.

As for other guides, simply google "how to build a computer". You'll find millions.

I should point out that the combo is listed as unavailable. I will say that you were getting a horrible HDD, RAM that would be really slow (single channel on a dual channel board), a very low quality PSU and a subpar case. Basically, I wouldn't recommend anything there except the CPU and maybe the board (MSI isn't the best for quality).
January 24, 2011 8:35:59 PM

MadAdmiral said:
I don't believe humidity will really matter. Just build it in a dry location.

As for other guides, simply google "how to build a computer". You'll find millions.

I should point out that the combo is listed as unavailable. I will say that you were getting a horrible HDD, RAM that would be really slow (single channel on a dual channel board), a very low quality PSU and a subpar case. Basically, I wouldn't recommend anything there except the CPU and maybe the board (MSI isn't the best for quality).

I'll keep those things in mind. I can probably swap parts to Western digital HDD and Corsair ram. I'm not looking to do anything crazy with my computer. Thanks for your input :) !
December 18, 2013 7:20:34 AM

Yeah ive built myself 6 or 7 rigs now and not once have I fried any of my components due to static, I wouldn't worry about it too much but if you want to be careful just pick up a cheap antistatic wrist band :) 
!