Sign in with
Your question

GeForce GTX 260 loud fan on startup, computer boots but no display.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
November 25, 2010 8:37:13 PM

Hi Guys

I bought a Nvidia Geforce GTX 260 for my intel board, homebuilt computer. Previously I had a geforce 8600 installed and it worked prefectly but once i deleted drivers and installed the 260 the computer started up but there was no display on monitors. I eventually got it to work but this is the usual scenario. I have to turn on the computer on and off a bunch of times before it randomly turns the monitor on. When I turn it on, the 260 fan gets loud going full speed and then drops to silent. As soon as it hits silent the monitors light up but to get that to happen I need to turn the PC on and off 20 times through power supply until I randomly get it right. If the 260's fan goes full speed upon PC startup and stays going full speed, the monitors never turn on. What can be the problem here? THe video card works well with games and now I just keep the PC on 24/7 to avoid messing with it for 10 min every time I want to turn it on.
November 25, 2010 8:55:59 PM

are you sure your PSU is beefy enough for this card? do you have all the power lines properly hooked up to the card? is the card firmly mounted to the PCI 2.0 (16x) slot?

maybe but not usually, a clean install of your OS might fix it. sometimes a older OS install doesn't like to take a sudden and drastic change in hardware and drivers.
m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
November 26, 2010 6:00:14 AM

I used to have a 500 watt Earthwatt PSU but upgraded to a Corsier 650 watt thinking that was the issue but nothing changed.
m
l
February 14, 2013 3:08:20 AM

I have the exactly same problem
Mine is palit gtx 260 216sp 896mb with a 650W PSU

Once power on. if the 260's fan goes full speed upon PC startup and stays going full speed, the monitors never turn on.
When I turn it on, the 260 fan gets loud going full speed and then drops to silent, everything is OK

Really do not know what the problem with this
m
l
February 14, 2013 3:08:27 AM

sorry for bringing up a old thread, but this problem has been going on for 1 year plus
m
l
!