Your question

Windows7 wireless problem on a netbook

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
a b $ Windows 7
September 22, 2010 9:30:21 PM

Hello,
I´ve just bought a eeepc 1008H for my girlfriend, but I did not manage to make the wireless connection work (atheros ar9285 connector).It acts very wearly. At first it was locating the network, but was refusing the wpa2 key. Then I reset the router (a DSL easy box 602) and restart the computer, I found the computer connected to the wireless network, but the connection was very bad,and after a while it failed. Now it can not even see find the network (it is not present in the avaible network list). I´ve surfed long on the internet but the variety of problems is too huge, I could not fix mine.
Any hint/suggestion is greately appreciated.
September 23, 2010 12:50:04 AM

I think your problem may be in the drivers. Have you tried to update the driver for the wireless network card in your computer?

what OS are you running? I looked on the Asus website for the drivers for your computer but since I didn't know your os or the exact model number I couldn't get you the exact drivers you need but below is a link to the Asus website where you can find them. If you can't access the site via your computer download the drivers onto a flash drive then install them off the flash drive onto your computer.

ASUS Support - Downloads

Oh yea, I forgot to ask do other computer(s) connect to your network just fine via a wireless connection?
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
a b $ Windows 7
September 23, 2010 8:06:24 PM

cbviking said:
I think your problem may be in the drivers. Have you tried to update the driver for the wireless network card in your computer?

what OS are you running? I looked on the Asus website for the drivers for your computer but since I didn't know your os or the exact model number I couldn't get you the exact drivers you need but below is a link to the Asus website where you can find them. If you can't access the site via your computer download the drivers onto a flash drive then install them off the flash drive onto your computer.

ASUS Support - Downloads

Oh yea, I forgot to ask do other computer(s) connect to your network just fine via a wireless connection?

Hi, thanks for replying.
I try to update the driver of the card via the system hardware table (I went to the wireless card and selected update driver); I got a "the installed driver are up to date". Do you think I have to download them directly from the web-site (ps, the os is win7).
Regarding other PC, I have a vista that also have problems, and I concluded it was a compatibility problem with the wireless card. I have an XP and a macos, and I have no problem. I would be pretty pissed if a net book cannot connect wireless at home!
By the way, if the router disappear from the list of net in the eeepc, it disappear or behave strangely also on the mac.
Related resources
September 23, 2010 10:01:44 PM

Wait....so did you download and update the driver from the ASUS website? or did you go to the device manager in windows and check the driver to see if its up to date? Windows tries to gather drivers via Windows update and NOT the vendor of your PC.

To get the correct drivers you must go to the ASUS website and update the drivers. I am almost positive if you do this you will be able to connect via wireless to your network.

Also there is 2 models numbers for the EeePC 1008HA and the 1008HAG make sure you go to the right download page for you PC. The full model number of your PC should be on the bottom of the PC somewhere.

Let me know how it goes! :) 
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
a b $ Windows 7
September 23, 2010 10:32:03 PM

Hi,
thanks for follow up.
So, on the asus support download for 1008P win7 there are in the section wireless 2 possibility: wlan-NE762H e NE785H. Now, on the back of the computer is written that the wirelass support is AW-NE785H, so I downloaded that and run the set up. This install the driver version that was originallay installed (8.0.0.238).I know because before I looked up for the most recent AR9285 driver version and I installed a 8.0.0.3something, and this setup rolled me back to the orginal version.
I close windows firewall (you never know) and put no encription (I had WPA/WPA2 with PSK). The nettop (sigh) connect only for few seconds, very bad and then dicsonnect/pass to limited connection.Well, at least it doesn´t disappear...
I have to say that this same computer is able to connect with another router with WPA2-PSK.
Don´t know, do you still think is a driver problem?In that case,which driver version should I use?
September 24, 2010 7:21:36 AM

Hmmm... i don't think it is the drivers anymore. It is really odd that you are able to connect to other networks with that PC by not at home. At the same time other computers on your home network connect to the router just fine. It just doesn't make sense to me lol.

I'll keep working on...remember google is your friend lol
September 24, 2010 7:36:56 AM

Quote:

By the way, if the router disappear from the list of net in the eeepc, it disappear or behave strangely also on the mac.

I was rereading through the posts and I think maybe I missed something. The wireless card in the mac could be the same or similar chipset to the EeePC's and their is an incompatibility issue with the router (even though that sounds weird, only because I haven't heard about that happening).
It's worth a shot to check and see if they are same or similar chipset.

If that is the case I would suggest get a new router as crappy as that sounds.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
a b $ Windows 7
September 24, 2010 9:09:48 AM

Quote:
he wireless card in the mac could be the same or similar chipset to the EeePC's and their is an incompatibility issue with the router (even though that sounds weird, only because I haven't heard about that happening).

I've read that win7 might have this kind of problem. But at work everything works fine.

Anyway,if that were the case, I should see the problem only when 2 computers access the internet at the same time; instead the problem is there also if only the eeepc is on. Anyway, mac has an airport, don't know if it is similar.
September 24, 2010 9:25:09 AM

I found this on another forum maybe this will work:

1. go to network
2.delete all the connections that you have
3.go to "create"
4. local area network wireless
5.next
6. dynamic, next
7. you must have a router to do this step, so click on "brow wireless network" and find your router and "choose" it for mode choose infrastructure and for transfer rate auto
8.wireless setting next
9. click on enable encryption NOW PAY ATTENTION! if your router password containes only letters choose WEP and type your pass word, if it has LETTER AND NUMBER choose WPA and next
10. put a name and next
11. choose connect auto and choose start this connection when and FINISH.
September 27, 2010 12:12:53 PM

hi there.
I'm the one who originally create the post...don'y know why my account was unactivated...by the way, just want to say that i solved the problem creatin a new wireless network WITHOUT WPS function enabled. Hope this help also others.
!