Core 2 Duo Processor Question

zentrility

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2011
Okay so there are laptops out there that have the Intel Core 2 Duo processor, the i5 and i7. I plan to buy and play Guild Wars 2 when it's released. What I would like to know is... Will the Core 2 Duo Processor be able to handle games on full graphic settings with the 1GB NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 335 or an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870?.(Such as GW2/AIKA/Dekkaron etc...?)

(I've seen people play WoW on ultra with the 1GB NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 335M and the Core 2 Duo Processor, this is why I'm asking) I don't want to buy a laptop to find out that it cannot play the games I want to play.

Same question goes for the i5 Core Processor. But, will it also be able to play MMORPGS in the future, say 2013?

*Assume that I am not running background programs when answering my question*

Solution
Gaming requires both the CPU and GPU, and the i5 is a far more powerful CPU compared to the Core 2 Duo. However I do say that its more important to have the better GPU, then the better CPU.

Guild Wars 2 and WoW are older games and will run pretty well on a Core 2 Duo and GT 335m, however if you want to be able to run games of the future, then I would lean more toward an i5 and HD 5870 setup.

I would recommend looking for an i3 based laptop, which wont be as expensive as an i5, but more powerful then an aging Core 2 Duo.

mattius92

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2010
links?

And most Core 2 Duos can play WoW and many other games, its more of the video card that matters. The Mobile 5870 can for sure run WoW and some games in the future.

However your best bet is to go for an i5 if you want to have a laptop that will be able to run MMORPGS in the future. However with how fast technology progresses I cant guarantee that you will be able to play the games of 2013, but the i5 should be able to hang in there for quite a while.

zentrility

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2011

Okay, so do you think an i5 should be able to run Guild Wars 2 with one or both of those gfx cards? Or similar games with similar gfx demands?

zentrility

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2011

Regarding your last post, you said that the i5 should be able to handle it. Were you implying that the processor is more for running background programs while playing games and such? Or does it take part in making the game(s) run smooth? Because I know that is what the GPU is for....(Correct)?

mattius92

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2010
Gaming requires both the CPU and GPU, and the i5 is a far more powerful CPU compared to the Core 2 Duo. However I do say that its more important to have the better GPU, then the better CPU.

Guild Wars 2 and WoW are older games and will run pretty well on a Core 2 Duo and GT 335m, however if you want to be able to run games of the future, then I would lean more toward an i5 and HD 5870 setup.

I would recommend looking for an i3 based laptop, which wont be as expensive as an i5, but more powerful then an aging Core 2 Duo.

Solution