First build - What's the difference between these two mobos?

goaskalice00

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011
Hey all. I'm going to be building my first computer by the end of the month.

I'm ordering all of my parts tonight, and I'm conflicted between two motherboards. One costs $90, and the other costs $160... but the specs look extremely similar to me. Here's what I'm looking at:

- $90: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1165562&CatId=6975&SRCCODE=LINKSHARE&cm_mmc_o=-ddCjC1bELltzywCjC-d2CjCdwwp&AffiliateID=iFudSkud_Rc-xvGouWEbuVfVql15ySS99g

- $160: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=353599&CatId=6975&SRCCODE=LINKSHARE&cm_mmc_o=-ddCjC1bELltzywCjC-d2CjCdwwp&AffiliateID=iFudSkud_Rc-GxH8AvDCPemJybCRDaQFEg

What's the difference? FYI, I'm going to be using:

-i5-2500k processor (which I will eventually OC, but I don't plan to anytime soon)

-GTX 560 GPU

-Corsair Vengeance 8GB RAM PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, 9-9-9-24 CAS Latency, Intel XMP Ready

-Corsair 600 Watt PSU

This is a gaming computer, and I'm looking to run RPGs very well. Can I get away with the cheaper board?

medmn

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
check the specs on the Gigabyte website - the more expensive board has three types of video connector on the back panel, it also runs crossfire at X16 and X8 versus X16 and X4 for the cheaper board. More expensive board has ability to support more USB ports. If you go to Gigabyte's site you can use the comparison tool to look at the features side by side. It appears the less expensive board is geared to a Home Theater PC as it has only an HDMI output on the board. Gigabyte is very good stuff - Asus is also very good - MSI not so much, but they have definitely improved over the past couple of years.

goaskalice00

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011
The Asrock Extreme3 has been suggested to me before. I've done a little research, and I've only been able to find a couple reviews. I'm considering it, but I'm still a little hesitant.

I take it that Asrock Extreme3 has a good reputation around here? How does it compare to the $160 Gigabyte board?