Fire2011

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2011
I would like to know if someone could help me out choosing the right hardware. I am trying to build a computer that It's main use is to run autocad program 2011, hydratec ver.51(It's a program that works with autocad to design fire sprinkler systems with 3D capabilities and performs hydraulic calculations), play and burn blue ray discs with 3D capabilities, able to have wireless internet, use two monitors so I could run autocad in one an the other monitor run the basic Microsoft programs such as Outlook, excel, word, etc. I would also like to have a card reader and run Windows 7.

I already bought that case and the PSU. For the case a bought a thermaltake level 10 gt ( I bought it because I liked the way it looked) and the PSU is a Ultra X4 1050 Watts.

I have a budget of $1,000 apart from what I already bought.

Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Well, I think AutoCAD finally supports GPGPU so you could get a nice Opteron combo with 16GB RAM and a low end FIre Pro or Quadro.

Here's a few options from Newegg.
Dual C32 with Free Quad Core - $289
2nd CPU - $119 upgrade later to 12 cores
16GB - $438

The Pro GPU will set you back at least $500 so you'll be around $1300 before the rest. AutoCAD isn't cheap to run unless time and precision doesn't matter in which case you could get a barebones server and throw in the GPU. I was actually tempted to pick up a workstation\server from www.directron.com but I have enough machines.