Sign in with
Your question

Looking on advice for upgrades to gaming PC.

Last response: in Systems
January 24, 2011 8:39:25 PM

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Quad Q6660 @2.4 GHz (4 CPUs)

HDD: Seagate 500GB SATA 3GB/s 16MB cache 7200 RPM

Optical Drive: TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-H653F SCSI CdRom Device

Board: Dell Inc 0PP150 A00

RAM: 6GB (4 slots/ max 2GB per slot)

Display: ATI Radeon HD 4800 x2 Crossfire

Case: Dell 630i XPS.

I don't really have a budget. Just looking to get the most bang for my buck. Thanks in advance.

More about : advice upgrades gaming

a b B Homebuilt system
January 24, 2011 8:50:20 PM

My suggestions are to update the Video Cards, and possibly get an SSD.

I recommended maybe a single GTX 570 or two HD 6850s in Crossfire.

Your CPU is still has much life in it, and 6GBs of memory is still really good.

Getting an new graphics card and maybe a SSD will give you really noticeable changes.

m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 24, 2011 8:50:42 PM

Oh and how much wattage is your PSU?
m
l
Related resources
January 24, 2011 8:54:43 PM

Opps, it's a Dell 750w PSU. And thanks for reply.
m
l
January 24, 2011 9:26:37 PM

How does the SSD improve gaming? Does it just improve load times of like maps on a first person shooter? or does it improve frames per second?
m
l
January 24, 2011 10:25:51 PM

Maho said:
How does the SSD improve gaming? Does it just improve load times of like maps on a first person shooter? or does it improve frames per second?

From some articles ive read sdd is one of the biggest noticeable improvements for systems, but for gamers it fails to beat a new card.

Yes an ssd will improve any load times for games, boot times, apps loads, really anything that fits on your ssd.
You would want to get an sandforce ssd drive, the more gigs the better.
and an 570 sounds pretty amazing, or even 6950/6970 since they are more future built architure but if your play more older games then go with an 570

i wouldnt run dual GPUs, but thats me, less dual gpu support, more heat, more noise, more cpu usuage, more PSU needed...just a headache LOL

Dell PSU?
IDK about that, are they not proprietary? meaning that you might having some trouble plugging video cards cuz of specialty plugs/wiring?

-maybe a new powersupply would be good too, one that can handle your new videocards, that meet both watts and amp recommended.
m
l
!