Sign in with
Your question

Chord question to hook PSU to GFX card (Help!)

Last response: in Components
April 22, 2011 2:21:01 AM

I have an old radeon 5000 series that I wanted to upgrade to a gtx 460. However when I got home I realized I only had one pcI-E 6pin connector. The thermaltalke PSU is modular, and has female ports that it looks like you can hook a 6pin male pci-e into, but try as I have I cannot find any 2x MALE 6pin pci-e cables. Let me post a picture to show you the PSU. My problem is I can find plenty of female + male but no male + male which is what this PSU seems to require (is this even the right place to hook up a second 6pin connection?).

Sorry these cards used to be simple but nowadays I get lost trying to follow all the connections. The card comes with a molex connector 2x 4pins to 6pin but I can't find anywhere this would hook into?

Thanks for the help.

Evan
a b ) Power supply
April 22, 2011 2:28:35 AM

Looks like you have a Thermal Take supply that is Modular. By modular I mean that the supply allow you to hook up just the cables you need to power your system. Did you build the system? If so, just where did you put all those unused cables that came with the supply?

If you can't find them, you'll likely have to contact Thermal Take for replacements. Or, hunt around the net for someone that sells a modular PCI-E cable that fit a Thermal Take supply. You need a cable that's female on both ends to connect to the PS and then connect to the GPU card...
m
l
a b ) Power supply
April 22, 2011 2:31:03 AM

Ah, as I looked at the picture again I see you do have two (2) available 6 pin PCI-E (RED) connectors on your power supply. Now, you just need to find those two cables that came with the supply to go from their to the GPU....
m
l
!