Control fan speeds?

crossedoutt

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011
I recently built my first ever rig with a HAF 922 and a AMD phenom x4 965BE with all stock fans used. Everything works, but it seems to me like all the fans are running at constant max speeds and it's really loud, especially if i want to leave a download there at night.

I read that there was a way for me to control fan speeds based on load/idle with speedfan, but my results when I launch it differs greatly from the examples in some guides.

2m806jk.jpg

Note how it only displays the fan speed for one fan, the one in the middle. So far, my rig has 4 fans in total: 3 case fans and one stock HSF for my CPU. Can anyone tell me what's wrong?

Also, while we're doing this, can you guys give me feedback on my computer's temp? The temps in the picture above basically idle, with steam downloading a game.

Thanks

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Are any of the case fans plugged into fan output connectors on the mobo? Or, are they all powered from 4-pin Molex output connectors from the PSU? Your BIOS (and hence any software tool like Speedfan) can only tell you a fan's speed if that fan has a speed output signal wire, AND the fan is plugged into a mobo connector to feed that signal to the BIOS. All fans have at least 2 wires to them - Black (Ground) and Red (+12 VDC power). 3-pin fans also have a Yellow wire to feed the fan motor's speed pulse signal back to the BIOS. (Their Red line gets variable VDC from the fan speed controller IF it is connected to a mobo pinout.) 4-pin fans have these same three signals (but different color coding) plus a fourth for the PWM signal that controls the fan's speed.

If you have 3- or 4-pin fans connected to your mobo, you may need to check how the BIOS Setup screens are set for these case fans. By default usually they are Enabled and under BIOS control for speed, but that can be changed. But the tale you tell - all fans always at full speed, and Speedfan cannot tell you their speed - suggest to me you are NOT using mobo pinouts to power and control your fans.

By the way, look carefully at your mobo manual. Some BIOs's allow you to examine and control fans plugged into the mobo in the BIUOS Setup screens. Other systems have you do it by installing and running a Windows utility that comes on the CD with the mobo. See which way yours works.

TRENDING THREADS