Sign in with
Your question

Strange ipconfig results

Last response: in Wireless Networking
September 22, 2010 11:58:10 PM

Hi guys, I work at aa university doing tech support in the library, the other day I was helping a student out with her laptop which kept disconnecting her after giving an IP conflict error. The way our system runs makes this impossible as everytime a student logs on it chooses a random IP 'out of a hat' so its nto possible for two students to receive the same IP. When I ran ipconfig to do a /release /renew It gave me over 45 different LAN connections, I have never seen this before and didn't know what it meant but I'm pretty sure thats the cause of the conflict error. Have you guys got any ideas?
September 23, 2010 8:21:17 AM

Higuma said:
Hi guys, I work at aa university doing tech support in the library, the other day I was helping a student out with her laptop which kept disconnecting her after giving an IP conflict error. The way our system runs makes this impossible as everytime a student logs on it chooses a random IP 'out of a hat' so its nto possible for two students to receive the same IP. When I ran ipconfig to do a /release /renew It gave me over 45 different LAN connections, I have never seen this before and didn't know what it meant but I'm pretty sure thats the cause of the conflict error. Have you guys got any ideas?

Do they all; show up in Control Panel>Network Connections (XP) or Network and Sharing Centre (Vista and W7)?
m
l
!